Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Calling the U.S.

What is the BEST way to call the U.S. from Aruba?
    Do not want to rent a cell phone.
    Have used Setar calling cards in the past which work just fine, but wondering if anyone had any other options that they have used?
    Leaving Friday for two glorious weeks........can't wait to return!!

The easiest way is to buy a calling card once you are there and use it to call home. If you are staying up by the highrise hotels there is a little kiosk by Salt and Pepper that sells cards. Buy one for $5 and you get 20minutes.(it is a Setar card)..then simply walk around the corner beside Aqua Grill to the Setar phone banks and follow the directions to call home. You can while there replentish that card or just buy a new one.
    I am not sure how much you will need to call home....we usually just call home once or twice during our stay to check in on my mom and make sure all is well. That card works perfectly for that reason.....Hope this helps.
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

call the usa

Google: Skype.Join skype Phone calls to the USA cost 2.1 cents a min. You need a computer inplace of a phone. The Skype tells you all the details and its user friendly.

http://www.arubavacationgetaway.com

Additional information regarding a Wi-Fi Skype, can be found here
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/skype-wi-fi-phone-30559/

Make Phone Calls to US for cheap!

I have seen a lot of posts about making phone calls from Aruba to the US, people asking about calling cards and such.

If you are going to travel to Aruba with a laptop (as I do), and plan to have Internet access (Free at Radisson)....

There are a few ways to make phone calls, either cheap or for free (sorta).

You can look a a device called Magic Jack www.magijcjack.com. You pay for a year, I think it is like $40 bucks. You plug the device into your USB port and the software installs on your laptop, then you can either use the Microphone and speakers on your computer to make calls, or you can even plug a phone into to use.

You can also look at Skype. Which is another computer based phone service. Skype to Skype calls are free. Meaning that you can call somone via Skype for free if they are also using Skype. It is sort of like an instant message client where you just call their computer.

You can also use Skype and buy a subscription from them and even buy a phone number. For $2.95 a month you can make phone calls to the US from Aruba. You cannot receive calls this way, since you will not have an actual phone number. If you buy a phone number from them you will be able to receive calls also. http://skype.com/allfeatures/subscriptions/uscanada/

I personally have Vonage for my home phone service. I pay a flat fee of $34.95 + tax for my home service. They also have a $24.95 plan, but the extra one gives nice extra features. The service comes with a program called Vonage Companion where when I log in, my laptop becomes my phone. So no matter where I am in the world, as long as I have Internet acces (highspeed) I have my phone with me. Plug in headseat and I'm off. So if my phone rings at home, it rings in Aruba. There are also other benefits, but has nothing to do with Aruba! But if anyone is interested in getting it, <wink wink> I would get a referral benefit..
    Decided to take down my timer!

Well Said! THe only thing i would like to add that its only 2 cents a minute to make calls from your laptop to a landline or cell phone using skype. Now someone else having a laptop and using skype can call you, but for a land liine/cell phone to call your laptop skype you would indeed have to buy a phone number. DH uses skype ALL the time. Was great when he was in germany and mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
    THe only thing i would like to add that its only 2 cents a minute to make calls from your laptop to a landline or cell phone using skype.

I believe that If you buy a number and get a subscription for like $2.95 a month you don't incur any per minute charges!

I have used Magicjack in Aruba several times and the initial cost is $40 1st yr. and $20 yearly. I like the fact that you are assigned a local number and that a telephone plugs into the majicjack adaptor. The reception is good and clear. Good info Sgroi135

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    I have used Magicjack in Aruba several times and the initial cost is $40 1st yr. and $20 yearly. I like the fact that you are assigned a local number and that a telephone plugs into the majicjack adaptor. The reception is good and clear. Good info Sgroi135

I actually have 2 of them . Best part is you can take them anywhere!!! Voicemail and everything included!!!!

I used magicjack on my june trip. It worked flawlessly in the 1st hotel with a strong wifi signal and not at all in the 2nd with a poor signal, still a great alternative. You can receive voicemails thru your email if your computer is off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast