Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned
    Small pair of bolt cutters and this thing is rendered useless, and it will be the first thing they'll go after because they know there's somethong of value in it.

Banned
    It's a deterrant. It will prevent your average scumbag thief from taking your stuff. People with bolt cutters tend to stick out on the beach.

Aruba since 1979
    with respect, i disagree.

a small pair of bolt cutters will take a while.....over a minute or 2 or 3 to get thru the cable.

beach thieves in....aruba, cape cod, jersey shore all do SNATCH AND GRABS. imo, anything that limits their ability to snatch and grab is a deterrent. this particular device, holds the essentials-locks-and can be hung/secured/attached to something BIG that the thief cannot and will not deal with.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
    Small pair of bolt cutters and this thing is rendered useless, and it will be the first thing they'll go after because they know there's somethong of value in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    with respect, i disagree.

a small pair of bolt cutters will take a while.....over a minute or 2 or 3 to get thru the cable.

beach thieves in....aruba, cape cod, jersey shore all do SNATCH AND GRABS. imo, anything that limits their ability to snatch and grab is a deterrent. this particular device, holds the essentials-locks-and can be hung/secured/attached to something BIG that the thief cannot and will not deal with.

andrea

I agree also.

Most types of thefts even here in the US are not types where people take their time. It is a quick in and quick out! I bet even if you used a piece of rope and tied it to the palapa and someone tried to grab it and realized that it was secured they would just drop it.

And bolt cutters are ok for hard solid metal, not really for stranded wire.

The camera that was stolen that started this thread, was probably just taken from the bag as stated. I would think though that whoever took it "saw" it before they went through the bag.
    Decided to take down my timer!

Aruba since 1979
    i am a pro with bolt cutters
    many times i was called to action to cut off padlocks from lockers when kids lost their keys
    as well as when they locked their bikes and lost the key or forgot the combo

the bolt cutter on the wrapped wire is long and tedious
    more than a couple of minutes

the snatch and grab is quick and the thieves do not want to linger.

andrea

Banned
    I agree, it is a 5 MM coated cable so it would certainly deter them into picking easier prey. This product would only be effective though in an environment where there are some people around to see it happen. I really don't bring anything of real value to the beach but what a carry is called a PakPak, a waterproof wallet that you can put in cash, room key credit cards, etc but nothing too large. You can either wear it on your arm, around your waist or hang around your neck. http://www.denko-world.com/?wpid=10104

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzerjoy View Post
    That was a great tip http://www.vacationvault.com/

I cannot believe that you cannot buy them on the Island, they would sell like crazy.

Hope one of the shops start carrying them, or I will have to have them shipped.

Thanks for sharing.
    I went on line to check shipping. $29 for the "Vault" $45 for shipping to Canada.

It mentions free shipping for 3 "Vaults" . I should order 3 and sell 2 of them in Aruba.

Even better would some else buy them I would buy a Yellow one from you when we arrive there.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    I went on line to check shipping. $29 for the "Vault" $45 for shipping to Canada. ...
    On eBay this seller charge $12.85 for Canada....
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=260425333817

Andrea, I agree that with a small pair of bolt cutters & a cable that size I would like to believe it would take at least 5 minutes sitting on the beach straining without being seen, And of course cover them up like everything else.

Sorry to hear about your loss . I usually take my Nikon to the beach in the morning for picture taking and then have a waterproof disposable camera at the beach for the day...still have to get the pics printed, but no one is gonna steal a disposable camera, it's not worth anything. If I do need it, I'll go back to my room and get it. I would love to catch some one going thru my stuff on the beach.................hehehe............and we stay at the Radisson.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast