Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: cameras

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

cameras

i have been debating whether to take my digital camera with me and worry about it (not that its so sophisticated), or to buy disposable cameras. But then I thought about airport security, and that will probably ruin the disposable cameras, right? I don't want to end up holding up the line because of my cameras (especially in today's age when everyone has digital, lol). they'll think I'm a dinosaur as opposed to someone who doesn't want to worry about a camera.

Shouldn't be an issue. We always travel with our digital camera. When going through security, it stays in our carryon and have never been questioned or delayed.

Definitely take your camera.

I have a DSLR digital camera and sometimes go through security without question and sometimes have the camera taken out to be inspected. It really is a minor inconvenience considering the rewarding of great quality memories from Aruba.

Fwiw, for
    info on baggage x-ray scanning on Film

Definitely take your camera! As ArubaLisa said, it's a minor inconvenience, if any at all.

After years of toting large cameras and equipment around, I finally gave them all up for a little digital rig. The photos are excellent, especially considering they rarely get printed, mostly seen on the computer/web. And when printing up to 8X10's the quality is just fine. Plus the thing is barely the size of a deck of cards, can store up to 500 photos on a tiny chip and needs only a few little accessories.

I miss my large cameras, which included 4X5 field cameras and a couple of Hasselblad medium format units. They were complicated fun with splendid results. But cost, environmental concerns, and weight sent them the way of the dinosaurs. I kept one example of each for museum pieces.

Bon dia.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Aruba since 1979
    same with paul and i.
    both of our nikons and all accessories went to a yard sale a couple of years ago.

the small, digital cameras are awesome.
    we have not had any issues, 2nd looks or concerns going thru airport security.
    typically i carry mine in my purse and paul carries his in his day pack.......place them on the conveyor......send them thru xray and no issues in the least!!!

also too, go to MY ARUBA STORY and view Monika's photo essay on her Aruba trip.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    what i was really asking is would i have a problem if i bought disposable cameras with me going through airport security. i figure if i bring disposable and something happens to one of them when i'm there, who cares. i never take my camera anywhere since i only use it for downloading in my shop on the web. but i figured i wanted to take it with me to aruba but not my digital, something i don't have to worry about like a disposable.

I would guess you won't have any trouble with disposable cameras at security. Years I ago I kept a couple with me for back up. No hassle.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    what i was really asking is would i have a problem if i bought disposable cameras with me going through airport security.
    Assuming disposable cameras still use film...

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml#SEC43

"Airport Baggage Scanning Equipment Can Jeopardize Your Unprocessed Film

Because your pictures are important to you, this information is presented as an alert to travelers carrying unprocessed film. New FAA-certified (Federal Aviation Administration) explosive detection systems are being used in U.S. airports to scan (x-ray) checked baggage. This stronger scanning equipment is also being used in many non-US airports. The new equipment will fog any unprocessed film that passes through the scanner.

The recommendations in this document are valid for all film formats (135, Advanced Photo System [APS], 120/220, sheet films, 400 ft. rolls, ECN in cans, etc.).

Note: X rays from airport scanners don't affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, i.e. film from which you have received prints, slides, KODAK PHOTO CD Discs, or KODAK Picture CDs."

that's what i was afraid of, arubalisa, that the film would be compromized. i guess i'll break down and not be lazy and take the real digital camera with me. i am an extremely light packer. i take only paperbacks with me so i don't have to take them home, lol....

thanks again..