Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cameras, associated equipment and favorite locations

Aruba since 1979

Cameras, associated equipment and favorite locations

Years ago (30+) I was fortunate enough to have a nice underwater Nikonos camera as well as a wonderful Pentax 35 mm slr.
    (back in the days when folks used film)
    Now, when i travel, it is Iphone photos

I see and read of folks mentioning their cameras and even talk of GoPro.

What do you use and do you enjoy photography? Do folks use film anymore?

I always enjoyed capturing the the waves crashing on the wild side (North side) of Aruba, cemeteries...people and dog, and birds.

In the days of film I had a nice 35 mm with an assortment of lenses and would spend hours trying to get perfect photos. These days I just use the iPhone. While I still enjoy capturing photos, I've found I no longer want to lug lenses and a tripod with me and the photos I get our more spontaneous and fun. In Aruba I gravitate towards iguanas and pelicans. Tom is always saying "enough with the iguanas"! I do miss a nice telephoto lens when doing a sunset though.

I've done all kinds. I had a Nikkormat with lenses that I toted around everywhere in a camera bag. Then I switched to a Compact Canon ELF. A fantastic little camera that took great pictures. These were both film cameras. I used Kodachrome for slides. and Kodacolor for prints.

Moving into the digital age, I've had a couple of Sony compact cameras. I have one now that's about 8-10 years old. It takes good pictures.

Last year I used my iPhone for the first time and although I brought my Sony, I never use it. I'll bring both this year and see what happens.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    We use my husband's Kodak digital, we paid $89 years ago for it and it does a pretty good job, good enough for us. I also use my phone every now and then. I can never have enough photos of sunset, drives my husband crazy he claims you see one sunset you've seen them all. I totally disagree I also love pictures of my morning beach walks, never know what you will see. Each trip we still average 80-100 pictures even after 15 trips to Aruba, I just love memories especially on days like this when I've already shoveled the driveway 5 times (sorry off topic)....I still take pictures of the staff at Divi as well as the friends we've made there over the years. It is fun to see how ALL of us have changed over the years.

GoPro video for capturing a swimmers view of the underwater beauty.

Iphone to capture memories of the fun we have on land, and the striking beauty of my wife in her native Aruba.

Iphone lifeproof case keeps the pictures safe from accidental exposure to Aruba elements, dropping, or diving in water with phone in pocket

I've never had a film camera, besides the cute little cheap pink camera I had in 6th grade! LeClick I think it was lol Then I got another cheap little one when Brianna was born for the thousands of pics I took of her. But never a real camera.

I have an ok underwater camera that takes ok pics out of the water too. Not super expensive, but it captures what I want. iPhone is fine for all the other pics. I wind up clicking like crazy under the water and hope I have a few nice shots in the end. We love taking pictures of everything on vacation and remembering each day as we go thru the pictures.

My SIL is a great photographer and brought a few cameras with her a few years ago and took amazing shots of all the natural beauty of Aruba - wildlife, waves crashing, hundred at the Butterfly farm. I cherish each one
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I must say I do not miss the days of having to load my 35 mm camera every 36 photos. The picture quality of todays digital cameras and yes, cell phones is better than the old average 35mm camera and much easier to edit. In 1990, before the digital express, we were fortunate enough to have enough sales in 1989 to qualify for a 4 night conference on Maui and a 7 night conference in Paris. Of course we stayed over on Maui for an extra 3 nights and went to Kauai. I took a total of 13 rolls of film on that trip. On the Paris trip we decided to go by way of London 4 days early. I used 27 rolls of film on that trip. The kicker is that I would have taken many more pictures if I had not been using film. That is the beauty of digital photo taking IMHO. You can edit out any bad or unwanted photos immediately and retake as many times as you want. No picking and choosing what to take a photo of because you are short on film. Take 4 pictures of the same thing and only keep the best. Then you can edit the pictures any way you want on your computer or at Walmart photo booths. That SD card is a miracle for amateur photography.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I must say I do not miss the days of having to load my 35 mm camera every 36 photos. The picture quality of todays digital cameras and yes, cell phones is better than the old average 35mm camera and much easier to edit. In 1990, before the digital express, we were fortunate enough to have enough sales in 1989 to qualify for a 4 night conference on Maui and a 7 night conference in Paris. Of course we stayed over on Maui for an extra 3 nights and went to Kauai. I took a total of 13 rolls of film on that trip. On the Paris trip we decided to go by way of London 4 days early. I used 27 rolls of film on that trip. The kicker is that I would have taken many more pictures if I had not been using film. That is the beauty of digital photo taking IMHO. You can edit out any bad or unwanted photos immediately and retake as many times as you want. No picking and choosing what to take a photo of because you are short on film. Take 4 pictures of the same thing and only keep the best. Then you can edit the pictures any way you want on your computer or at Walmart photo booths. That SD card is a miracle for amateur photography.

I agree 100%. Digital photography has made life a lot simpler, faster and cheaper than the "old days". However, the availability and facility of taking digital photos with a tool you always have in your hand anyway has resulted in way to many crappy photos circulating the world on various social networking sites.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I agree 100%. Digital photography has made life a lot simpler, faster and cheaper than the "old days". However, the availability and facility of taking digital photos with a tool you always have in your hand anyway has resulted in way to many crappy photos circulating the world on various social networking sites.
    Having a great camera does not make a person a great photographer.

True, but with the amazing landscape Aruba provides us we all become pretty decent photographers
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast