Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can I fly with these items:

Aruba since 1979
    really bacon?
    we always buy bacon at lings.....a usa brand and i cannot remember which.
    but no complaints.

we r spoiled, our butcher lives close by so we get our bacon from him.....nothing better than fresh bacon....we do get our bacon at lings when there, just not the same.
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Ditto to what Andrea said; freeze the item, wrap in newspaper, place in soft sided cooler and then I use some of the thin ice packs on the bottom and top in the cooler. Have done it for years and works very well. I usually bring bags of ground chicken (frozen) to make chicken salad and bags of cheese ball mix (not frozen).

Have a wonderful time. My daughter and I do not leave until June 16 and looking forward to another 3 weeks on "The Rock."

Another ditto to what Andrea said, only I don't use newspaper. Just wrap everything in gallon size plastic bags, then grocery store bags in a soft sided cooler that goes in the checked bag with our snorkel gear. Everything has always arrived still frozen solid.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Hi everyone - upcoming first time visitor here and first time poster. I'm very excited about our visit coming up in March and appreciate everyone's input on the various message board topics.

I've seen a lot of discussion in these threads about everyone bringing frozen meat but I also see lists on those same threads citing the fact that meat is prohibited according to the official Aruba customs list.

What gives? Does everyone bring meat because there has been a tendency for customs not to care? Or is that list for something else?

Thanks - Perry

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

aruba customs on occasion does check luggage and if certain things that are on their "not allowed" list are found, those items confiscated and tossed.

"everyone" does not bring frozen meat.
    probably less than 1% of people bring frozen food items

the most common items brought in is liquor from duty free.

my husband and i bring some frozen cooked/prepped meals from home, typically chicken parm, steak, grilled mahi, meatloaf, beef stew and frozen pasta sauce all in lock and lock containers. we usually stay 14 nights so if we bring a few meals prepped at home, it is a good savings for us.

we also bring dunkin donuts ground coffee and bumble bee premium albacore tuna and pita pockets and english muffins.

we have had our luggage looked at 2x in 38 visits.
    nothing ever taken or questioned by aruba customs.

i encourage people to follow the rules and do not follow what i do.
    we have been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerperry View Post
    Hi everyone - upcoming first time visitor here and first time poster. I'm very excited about our visit coming up in March and appreciate everyone's input on the various message board topics.

I've seen a lot of discussion in these threads about everyone bringing frozen meat but I also see lists on those same threads citing the fact that meat is prohibited according to the official Aruba customs list.

What gives? Does everyone bring meat because there has been a tendency for customs not to care? Or is that list for something else?

Thanks - Perry
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    also too check out this thread.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f35/bring...23/index4.html
    we had spoken to guido at the ATA about bringing meats and his reply is in post #38 on this thread

Frozen goods not a good idea. If your flight has a mechanical issue or you don't make your connection your luggage will be pretty stinky.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i usually buy bacon at lings. they have Oscar Meyer, if you want a name we're familiar with. that's the one i get. its the only time my husband is allowed bacon, on our two weeks in aruba, lol.

Aruba since 1979
    yes, maybe
    we bring stuff frozen solid.
    wrapped in newspaper add a few ice packs..then placed in 2 soft sided coolers.
    typically we leave orlando at 7 am and arrive in miami at 8 and then arrive in aruba at about 2 or 3. so there is 8 hours, really 10 hrs+..... figuring we get to the airport 2 hrs prior to flight....so stuff in cooler frozen has been in the luggage .

when we arrive and unpack, the stuff is still rock solid.

so if there were a delay by 10 hrs , i would imagine the stuff be at least still very cold and or partially frozen.

we put our frozen prepared (cooked) meals in lock and lock containers or in the plastic seal vacuum seal bags.

all bets are off if 30 hrs of travel or longer delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Frozen goods not a good idea. If your flight has a mechanical issue or you don't make your connection your luggage will be pretty stinky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12