Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aruba since 1979
    i august (aug 7) i stopped at the digicel kiosk @ the airport and bought minutes for my phone.

they are NOT fastphones.
    at that time they were not accepting credit cards.

Getting set up for a phone in Aruba

We have an old BlackBerry which has a SIM card in it. All our phone are with our carrier does not have SIM cards. The idea was to use the BB as a phone and perhaps enable it for BBM (not sure about that but it is a way of communicating with our kids from their phone). We would like to use Digicel. How do I go about getting this set up? We will be arriving on a Saturday and staying in Palm Beach.

We need to go to a Digicel place and get a SIM card and that will give us a Aruba phone number?? Then we can just purchase the cards to get extra minutes, correct? Is there a Digicel around Palm Beach to get this done or should I have Bully stop on the way from the airport to the hotel?

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    there is a DIGICEL place along the road across from the old BUSHIRI resort.

Randi, I have both Digicel and Setar, and not too much difference with calling minutes cost. Digicel is cheaper but I believe for what you want to do Setar might be the way to go. The office is located in Palm Beach Area and next to Brickell Bay beach club. With Setar you can buy a Sim car for what I believe is 10 florin or 10.00 with a phone number assigned. The old BB you have has to be unlocked but if not they can unlock but that will be an additional charge. Place the new sim and buy a calling minute card setar GSM for whatever you need. 20 us 35 florin will give you plenty of minutes and you can check your phone credit with a code number anytime free. Now if you want to use the BB messenger and internet than you need to buy a second card and depending on the amount of time you want the price changes. They have a daily, weekly and monthly charge for this service. I forget but I believe the monthly charge is 100 florin. weekly 50florin. Digicel is located like other posters stated next to Wendy's on the main Road between Certified and Valero. I use Setar because it seems you can get phone cards at almost all markets, gas stations and some bars.

Mark,
    Great information...thank you! I will take the phone and get it unlocked.

Why do you think Setar is better for what I need? Is it because I want to use BBM? I am not going to use it for email just BBM, which uses less data.

I don't remember the reason but on my last trip one of our Arubian friends told us to go Digicel. I am not sure if it was cost or more coverage areas. In addition, we can buy Digicel cards right in our SC shop. Not sure about if we can get Setar cards.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

This is just my opinion, but the phone I had from Digicel did not have great service in some area's on the island and my sim card on the phone had to be changed twice because of some changes they made when they first opened. this was a few years ago so I stuck with setar. Setar is the main phone company and cable company on the island. They have several offices through-out the island including one that is walking distance from the Surf Club. Also if any shop other than the main digicel store sells digicel cards than they will have Setar cards but not always the other way around. You are right and I was told the same that you will get cheaper calling minutes but I believe the minutes and your phone number will expire sooner if inactive than Setar. Maybe other forum members can help but when I first purchased cell phones years ago from Setar and Digicel they only sold phones if you could prove you lived in aruba and need sometype of bill. I know Digicel was more flexible with this rule and I believe this was why I first went with them. I'm sure you will have no problem with either, I will be going to the Setar office on Monday and can ask a few questions about the bb plan and about what is needed to get a sim card. Also I lost a sim card before and had one damaged, Setar will give you the same telephone number and will transfer your numbers if you have them on file for no charge and you just have to pay for the new sim card. They are also open on Saturday and will let you know the time.

Mark thank you so much!! I have an old BB but it just occured to me that it may not have BBM, which is the only data I want to use if it not that costly. I am looking on buying a used BB locally which is unlocked or I can get it unlocked someplace here.

My kids will be taking out an international data plan for their BBM and I want to be able to communicate with at night. Too much money to add the internatinal long distance and we want to be able to use a "local" phone which will allow people in Aruba to call us. People in Aruba will not want to incur the long distance to our cell phone. So if we have a local number with BBM capabilities then we can communicate this way.

We want to be able to hold the number for one year. Thanks for getting all the information for me.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I can support Mark's recommendation of Setar.
    Never had a coverage problem with them. They have a good variety of plans and options. They are all over the place and the know what they are talking about.
    Even their support is great.
    I am not saying that they are perfect (what telco is), but compared to Digicel they sure are.
    The Digicel shop by Wendy's gave me the worst service I have experienced anywhere in the World. Besides the normal slow motion service, the staff there was absolutely clueless about even the simplest things. Is was so bad that I find it hard to describe. So if you go with Digicel at least go to their main office at LG. Smith Blvd. 60 (by the Chaos Cafe) instead.

Carsten

ok, you guys might be convincing me!! If I go with Setar can I get the BB set up at the airport? Otherwise, is there a Setar office in Palm Beach to set this up?

I wouldn't be looking at setting up a plan just pay as you go.

Thanks for all of your great responses.
    Last edited by Randi; 11-02-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    the setar office at palm beach is next door to brickel bay hotel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast