Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canadians in Aruba

I may have done this before but I thought it might be fun to find out who on the BB is Canadian? Also, when do you usually go to Aruba and how do you fly down? Airline, connection cities, etc?

We go to Aruba during the Xmas/NY season and again in March for two weeks. We generally fly USAIR via Charlotte or sometimes Philly. This year we got a points ticket on United so we went via Newark and will be going through Washington in March. For the first time ever we fly Westjet home. Not sure on my opinion on that. While I liked not having to do two sets of customs in Aruba, the TO airport is horrible and having to go through another set of security there to get to our final flight... not sure which is worse.

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

We're Canadian. We tend to go in November and February but we're going to expand that to include December/January this year (2 weeks each time) as we're going to avoid holiday madness here and hopefully forever.

Any reprieve from Canadian winter and we're thankful. As I type this, it's minus 20C outside. Yes, Aruba fans, it has finally happened: hell hath indeed frozen over.

We fly direct on Air Canada as The Spouse doesn't like flying at the best of times and I'd be killed if I booked a connecting flight! Flying direct does limit your choices though so that's a bit of a bummer. We've only flown AC and SunWing... Haven't flown WestJet... Their website is wonky at the best of times and I usualky give up trying to book with them.

Westjet flights tend to get put into the system later than AC but the flights can be comparable. Added bonus is that Westjet flies on a Tuesday not just Saturday. I heard that AC flew to Aruba on Wednesdays this winter, is this true? Are they still flying on Sundays as well?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

They WERE flying Saturday and Sunday but then they cancelled the Saturday flights. I can't understand it: every AC flight we've ever been on has been packed... I'm positive they could fill another day/jet. I vaguely remember them having a weekday flight a couple of years ago but can't remember which day it was.

We actually like SunWing the two times we've flown it but AC works better from a scheduling perspective. I read a few weeks ago that SunWing is going to start flying out of Buffalo soon as well.

I'm from Quebec.....so we try to get connections as far south as possible, so as not to hit bad weather. Been to Aruba only 3 times though.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiansue View Post
    I'm from Quebec.....so we try to get connections as far south as possible, so as not to hit bad weather. Been to Aruba only 3 times though.
    That makes complete sense: the last thing you'd want is TWO potential delays - one in PQ and then one in Toronto! God knows I've spent enough time biting nails on frozen tarmacs at Toronto Pearson.

How far south do you usually connect? Can you get to Miami direct from PQ and then jump from there?

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    That makes complete sense: the last thing you'd want is TWO potential delays - one in PQ and then one in Toronto! God knows I've spent enough time biting nails on frozen tarmacs at Toronto Pearson.

How far south do you usually connect? Can you get to Miami direct from PQ and then jump from there?
    Yes, Miami is where we have had 2 transfers, and once in Atlanta.

I noticed the other day that SunWing is doing direct flights from Montreal to Aruba - they aren't cheap though...$1000+.

It never ceases to amaze me that Canada's "national" airline (AC), insists on funneling everyone through Toronto and Vancouver for international flights. We need to loosen the grip they have so other airlines can come in and fill the void(s) Air Canada's not bothering with.

After flying to Aruba the past 3 trips on Westjet, I can honestly say that AC can get stuffed. I'm led to believe that the only thing they aren't charging their passengers for is oxygen while on the plane. Canada's national carrier..... uh, yeah. Canada's greediest carrier, Canada's most impolite and put upon carrier, Canada's most arrogant and entitled carrier.
    Sunwing... could they make the seats and planes any LESS comfortable?
    Connecting flights for convenience and lower rates? Not worth the stress and hassle with all the ins and outs of crossing borders.

Yay Westjet. They're helpful, courteous, FRIENDLY and wonderfully accommodating.
    We'll be flying Westjet this May when we head back to paradise.
    Simple as that.

And yes, we're sort of fortunate in that we can actually hop on a local transit bus and be deposited at the terminal in less than 20 minutes, no bothering with a $25 taxi, or a $50 limo for a return. So yes, we live near the airport... sort of.

4 months, 9 days, 20 hours, and it's -27 degrees here.
    Gonna be a long 4 months at this rate.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

How was the service on WestJet? It's abysnal on AC. Sunwing was very good but you're on the nose re seat spacing. Ugh. I've seen prisoners of war with more space!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast