Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Sleep

Cannot Sleep

I may sound completely insane - but the night before we leave for our Annual Aruba Trip i literally cannot sleep. It is the only vacation i do this with. I don't even snooze for 10 minutes. I think it has been going on now for so many years that I have now built it up to the point of no return - we are leaving in 34 days and i am already worried about how to get sleep. I have tried every relaxation technique i have heard of, leaving the room and returning when tired, reading, watching TV, OTC sleep aids and Nyquil (which usually knocks me out with 1/2 a dose.)

I hate it because it gets the vacation off to such a bad start for me every year - i am so tired during the trip that i am cranky. We just had our third child in July and will have 3 kids to keep together on the trip it would really help if i got even a couple hours of sleep.
    Anyone have any advice ?

Sounds like a case of what I call airport anxiety. With three kids (i have two young ones) I can imagine it might not be easy. We flew down last year on my son's first b-day. He screamed an carried on for 4.5 hrs from Chgo. NOT FUN for anyone on the plane especially when we landed and the gate was occupied for 30 minutes while he screamed some more.

With that said, I'm not sure what we will do this year to make it easier to sleep as we are all (except the 21 month old) counting the days until our return to Aruba and will be very excited on the eve of the return. Last year, we had a pretty good party/bbq at the house the night before our departure. A few cocktails made it seem easier to fall asleep. Try that, but drink some water before bedtime so there is no side affect from the alcohol

If need be, get a sample of ambien or lunesta and you will sleep for 5 -6 hrs

i wish I could give more/better advice. Once you get to Aruba, my next anxiety occurs when I realize I have to leave. That's why I booked two weeks this year for the first time

You might want to attempt some deep breathing exercises that have proven themselves useful. It takes just a bit of concentration and a little determination and it usually works.

Interested?

Drop me a line here, or here....
    www.heyoka-healing.com is the website, heyoka@heyoka-healing.com is the email address.

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com

And if I may mention this again, for any interested parties, I'll be offering "first session free" Reiki treatments on the beach (by the Tamarijn) and hopefully a workshop/clinic or two (also at the Tamarijn) from April 6 'til the 11th. There's a coupon on the above mentioned website for the treatment. Here's the location... http://www.heyoka-healing.com/location.htm
    Just print one out & bring it along if you'd like to experience the energy and relaxation of Reiki.

SEE YOU ON THE BEACH!!!
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    tylenol pm an hour before you go to bed....couldn't live without it.

Mr. Ratt

I don't get to aruba until 9pm on the 13 of april. Will you have anything that week. I probably have 5 people that would be interested
    diane
    Happy to be travelling

I can fall asleep anywhere with in 10 seconds, my wife on the other hand will be up all night. I am not sure how she can function. I will tell her to try the Tylenol PM.

Nite Nite!!!
    Last edited by tds-ken; 03-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.

You sound like me and I only have 1 baby (6 months old). I have so much anxiety that I can not sleep if there is anything going on traveling wise the next day. The only thing that has helped me is Lunesta. It is a perscription and there are different levels that you can get. I have a perscription now for a level 3 which I would not take unless you have a solid 9 hours of sleep to dedicate to it. But level 2, I have heard, dedicates atleast 5 hours of sleep. I am not to sure what level 1 does. I highly recommed visiting your DR. I do not have any side effects from it except for the times when I can not dedicate the full hours that is needed. Good luck! I know how stressful traveling can be!

Talking

Hey everybody

Thanks for all the input - on a normal day Tylenol pm would knock me out in an instant. Just not in this case - i guess i need to find a new dr. - he just will not prescribe any sleep aids - which i understand in a way since so many people become hooked and abuse these medications - but i just need it for these "special occasions". Well i remembered i have some painkillers left over from a wisdom tooth operation that knock me out pretty good. Guess i will give them a try - couldn't take them last year because i was pregnant.

I will never make it through the airport with these 3 kids if i dont get a few hours!!!
    The husband means well, but he can't keep the troops together as well as i can!!
    katherine

Trip #14 in

I was having issues sleeping a few months ago (I think due to stress at work) and a co-worker recommended Valerian. It is a natural supplement and you can find it pretty much anywhere that sells vitamins/supplements.
    I think it works great. I take it about 1 hour before bed and I am able to fall asleep and stay asleep and most importantly, I do not feel crappy the day after taking it.
    Hope you are able to get to sleep before your trip and get it started right!
    Enjoy and Sweet Dreams..

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    These are natural things that might work:

Book a message for that day at a spa, have someone watch the kids and go as late as you can. When you get home, take a hot shower/bath and relax with a cup of Chamomile tea, which has great relaxation effects.

No idea if it would work for you, but it wouldn't be a burden for you to try!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast