Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jplayer

Thread: Car insurance iM confused

Car insurance iM confused

Hi guys well we found a great deal on a car but I'm confused we will be insured 3rd party but I'm being offered cdw/ldw insurance at n extra fee. I don't understand what this is its not a term we use in the UK. Can anyone explain and do I need it? Sorry to sound thick!

Aruba since 1979
    here is what wiki says about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_waiver

without me messing it all up in an explanation, click the wiki link

it had always confused me too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    Hi guys well we found a great deal on a car but I'm confused we will be insured 3rd party but I'm being offered cdw/ldw insurance at n extra fee. I don't understand what this is its not a term we use in the UK. Can anyone explain and do I need it? Sorry to sound thick!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    Most rental agencies provide some sort of liability insurance (you hit someone the insurance will cover damage to the other persons car and any injury that may results).

What this liability insurance does not cover is YOUR CAR.

LDW - Loss Damage Waiver
    Additional insurance that will cover YOUR car if it is damaged / stolen for any reason other than an accident.

CDW - Collision Damage Waiver
    Additional insurance that will cover YOUR car is damaged in an accident

Some credit cards offer insurance coverage for YOUR car by paying for the rental with your the credit card.
    Make sure to read all the details on these though as many times there are lots of exclusions/limitations.

My AMEX card offers insurance on your rental as a perk of owning a card (granted you pay for the rental with the card).
    But this insurance does not cover Jeeps and other types of vehicles and is fairly limited.

Amex does offer a plan though where you can activate"enhanced" insurance instead of the standard, only it is not free. It's $25 for each rental and this enhanced coverage provides not only more coverage but expands the range of vehicles it covers also.

We found that the AMEX enhanced coverage was going to be our best bet as it covers what we need it to cover and is much cheaper than the CDW/LDW offered through the rental agency.

Aruba since 1979
    mrslancaster will you be renting this vehicle for the entire 3 months that you are on island?

Quote Originally Posted by jplayer View Post
    Most rental agencies provide some sort of liability insurance (you hit someone the insurance will cover damage to the other persons car and any injury that may results).

What this liability insurance does not cover is YOUR CAR.

LDW - Loss Damage Waiver
    Additional insurance that will cover YOUR car if it is damaged / stolen for any reason other than an accident.

CDW - Collision Damage Waiver
    Additional insurance that will cover YOUR car is damaged in an accident

Some credit cards offer insurance coverage for YOUR car by paying for the rental with your the credit card.
    Make sure to read all the details on these though as many times there are lots of exclusions/limitations.

My AMEX card offers insurance on your rental as a perk of owning a card (granted you pay for the rental with the card).
    But this insurance does not cover Jeeps and other types of vehicles and is fairly limited.

Amex does offer a plan though where you can activate"enhanced" insurance instead of the standard, only it is not free. It's $25 for each rental and this enhanced coverage provides not only more coverage but expands the range of vehicles it covers also.

We found that the AMEX enhanced coverage was going to be our best bet as it covers what we need it to cover and is much cheaper than the CDW/LDW offered through the rental agency.

Thanks guys, yes we will be renting the entire 3 months. We don't have Amex as its not accepted in many UK places we use Barclay card and they won't cover us

Aruba since 1979
    you may want to check out
    www.insuremytrip.com and see what options, if any are there for you.