Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Carnival

Carnival

Can anyone tell me about Carnival. We arrive on Sat Feb 21 and leave on Thu Feb 26. I understand that there is a big parade on Sun and Mon is a national holiday. Is the parade worth seeing? Where is the parade and what activities are going on that day. We were scheduling to rent a car that day and tour the island so I don't know if we should now do that another day. Thanks....Danielle

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Heres the tenative schedule for Carnival in 2009. http://www.visitaruba.com/attractions/whatson/carnival.html

ITS WORTH SEEING
    aruba lover 99

45 th trip coming soon

Hi Love Aruba 99, I wish I could be there for Carnival, I think that would be a great time, if you really want to get to know the locals, and yes, do not rent the car that day lots of areas you would not be able to go.

It starts after the 6th of JAN.but those are the mayor activities during the carnival season,people I truly recommend you to watch the Lighting parade.

Next year (2009) we will be celebrating Aruba"s 55th carnival parade. Its worth seeing the parades, a lot of nice colorful costumes.

For the big Parade it starts at the far end of town and gets up to the Rennisance at about 4:00 pm. Ends at the bus terminal. Take chairs, shade and a cooler.
    Sunday
    12:00 PM

Aruba's Famous 55TH Grand Parade ORANJESTAD
    The annual carnival festivities culminate with the grand carnival parade, which always falls the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. Aruba's main event starts at 11 a.m. in Oranjestad and continues into the evening in the streets of the city.
    ROUTE - Avenida Milo J. Croes - Vondellaan - L.G. Smith Boulevard - D.O.W.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

There's also the big parade on Saturday in San Nicolaas, where it all began.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    There's also the big parade on Saturday in San Nicolaas, where it all began.
    I have wanted to go to San Nicolaas for their parade but have been (sort of) warned off because of parking and the people get a bit TOO happy.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

The parking can be a challenge. Once you're in the "Carnival Zone" you're pretty much stuck there until the whole thing is over and the exodus clears.

As far as getting TOO HAPPY, well, I've been to several Carnival celebrations in San Nicolaas with no worries or troubles. All this warning off... hmmm... makes me wonder.

San Nicolaas is a place of its own. I like it. And I'll continue to write books about it showing it just the way it is.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/