Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell phone

Aruba since 1979
    i have the storm from verizon and it is "locked"
    are your unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
    I have a question into aruba discount cell, but thought I would ask the group:

I have a BlackBerry Storm 1 and a Storm 2 through verizon. Can I get them a different SIM card or ?? from a rental place for activity, minutes and data?

Any info appreciated.

Two days and counting!! Surf Club, here we come!

I would assume since I didn't do anything to change, it is locked.
    Next Aruba trip in

Verizon phones do not have a sim card so don't bother buying a sim card when you get to Aruba. It probably pays to rent a phone there if you need one.

Madame Janettes, Rumba's, Driftwood, El Goucho, Marina Parata all for dining. So many places. I love the shopping in town as well as shopping by the Highrises. I go in & out of all the hotels.
    Skype works really great and is only penny's a call. If you bring your laptop, and a few dollers to your paypall account. It costs next to nothing. We have rented phones for many years, but this is the easiest. This year I plan to try my I POD touch with skype downloaded. Then you just need to go to a hotspot and call either a cell phone or land line.

I have T-Mobile. Turns out roaming (receiving or making calls in Aruba) will cost me $1.99/minute. Do you think the phone rental is a better option? I can either go with the roaming or another option is to buy a sim card in Aruba.

Gmac, how does that work?

Cell phone in Aruba

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for your input on cell phone usage in Aruba. I currently have T-Mobile and will be in Aruba 2+ weeks. Turns out roaming (receiving or making calls in Aruba) will cost me $1.99/minute on my cell. Do you think the phone rental (mentioned in other posts) is a better option? I can either go with the roaming on my current cell, buy a sim card in Aruba, or...?? What is the cost for the cell phone rental?

Thanks,
    Mac

http://www.t-mobile.com/international/default.aspx
    t mobile international services, start by seeing if your phone
    http://www.t-mobile.com/International/InternationalDevices.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_International Devices
    has the capability.
    If so you must
    "Add WorldClass International Roaming to your account before you travel (activation is free)."

Hopefully the above info will give you a base to get you started on your research. I think the best place to start is with T-mobile.
    Is your phone locked or unlocked? It must be unlocked to receive a SIM card.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/cell%20phones.html
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/cell...%20rental.html

there is a lot of info regarding use of cells phones and renting one while on the island.

You can shop around for rentals. The most popular companies seem to be Aruba Discount Cell as well as Aruba Fast Phones.

Hi Arubalisa,

I just talked to T-Mobile. Turns out my phone doesn't have the capacity to pick up the Aruba frequency. So I would need to get a new phone. Since I only really need this phone for about 2 days (the 2nd place we're staying at has a cell where we can buy prepaid calling card minutes), I think I'll rent just rent a cell for a few days...sounds like it may be the most cost effective way to go about it. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to rent a cell from Aruba Discount Cell or Aruba Fast Phones for a couple of days?

Mac

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    This past year we were in Aruba for 2 weeks. Between my calls (incoming and outgoing) to my office and SEVERAL calls back to the states (our car was in the shop and we kept having to communicate with the mechanics), my bill came to over $450.00 (we have AT&T international plan at 1.99/minute). Luckily, I was able to expense my office calls but still had to pay over $200.00 in regular charges. Next year I may look into renting a phone. THe rates are much cheaper per minute.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast