Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cell Phone/Blackberry Service

Hello,

First post here. Forgive me if this question has been posted in the past, I tried the search function without success - I was unable to decipher the verification words....

The good news, my wife received an all expense paid trip for two adults to Aruba in April as part of a sales incentive program at work. We're excited becuase we have been to Aruba in the past.

However, this time around we have a three year old. We are unable to bring her because this is a work trip with other people from her company - we would, if we could, of course!

I'm terrified. We are considering leaving her at home with a live in Nanny and her grandparents. I'm sure it will be tough for all of us. I would feel much better (and actually be able to enjoy myself!) if I had cellular access. I have a work issued blackberry with email, text and cell phone. Will it work in Aruba? I don't care if it is crazy expensive or incurs roaming charges. It is piece of mind and we won't be calling to chit chat all day. I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference.

Alternatively, I have heard of people purchasing pay as you go type cell phones in far away destinations. Has anyone actually done this? Is it easy and reliable?

The only alternative is that Dad stays home with Jr. and Mom takes a friend to Aruba (Booooo!) This is a once in a lifetime trip - all expenses paid at the Marriott. I'd love to be able to get away for some time together with my wife but I need to know that I am only a call away from home.

I'm sure we will laugh at the stress this is causing at some point! Any help, opinions or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Great forum!

Kevandra

WELCOME to the forum. Many here use SKYPE to keep in close contact with home. http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/skype.html

There is also a LOT of NEW and relavant info regarding BB use and Canada at

Aruba prepaid sim card options

A cell phone rental may ideally be an much much more affordable option over a costly cell phone bill if you are not looking at switching out SIM cards, unlocking devices etc.

Aruba since 1979
    dad do not stay home.
    i used to rent cell phones on aruba and it is not expensive at all.
    i now use skype on my laptop and have an aruba cell phone by digicel.
    it is a cheapo nokia and i throw about $15 of minutes on it.
    but i primarily use skype and email.
    one of our members owns a cell phone rental company.
    his username is caribbean-tattler and his business is www.fastphonearuba.com.
    i highly recommend him for cell phone rental.

I guess arubadiscountcell is the only company in Aruba that does rent blackBerrys

we have a wonderful baysitter on the Island that we have used for 6 years, If you want her info pm me.

Thanks folks for the quick responses and referrals. I fired off a couple of emails to the folks at discount and fast phones for pricing information.

Is the cellular service realiable in Aruba? Can I expect to make and receive calls or texts anywhere on the island - in my hotel room, poolside or travelling around? I'd like to know what to expect once there.

My stress levels are coming down a little bit with this new information!

Thanks for the babysitter recommendation but this is a no-kids business trip (unfortunately). Skype won't work for us because gramps and grandma are not pc people! I know, they do exist. It is someting we will investigate, I'm assuming the Marriott might have a business centre where we could use a PC and leave my laptop at home. Perhaps our three year old can show them how to use the PC while we are away. lol.

Kevandra.

My verizon blackberry works in Aruba without any problems. Just let Verizon know your going and change the plan for the month its 6.50 to have international calling and you can adjust the roaming as well. I do this every feb. Its still a higher bill, but its not too bad considering my emails, facebook, texting, photos and calls home

my hubby also has the international plan put on his phone for when we go...he has never had a problem...has always worked for everything.

Hi ,
    thank you for having contacted us and I hope that the response and information will help to ease things for you.
    Stress , as they say, is a killer. Vacations , as they also say, is time for a MILLER. difference being that on Aruba ir is BALASHI BEER!

Good luck with your info search.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast