Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cell Phone Charges

Cool Cell Phone Charges

I have Verizon cell phone,just curios about roaming charges,etc.I live in the U.S-Illinois

Aruba since 1979
    roaming is expensive, even with verizon's international plan.
    is your phone UNlocked?

check out this thread
    Cell Phone Use
    Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I have Verizon cell phone,just curios about roaming charges,etc.I live in the U.S-Illinois

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    roaming charges are $1.99 a minute with Verizon. Rent a cellphone, its cheaper and no surprises when you get home.

What if I buy a prepaid phone card at Walgreens,Walmart etc.Would that work down their?

Aruba since 1979
    unfortunately no those prepaid cards do not work in aruba
    Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    What if I buy a prepaid phone card at Walgreens,Walmart etc.Would that work down their?

Aruba since 1979
    Cell Phone Use
    check out this thread

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Can you buy a cellphone from Digicel when you get to the island and if so, what would be the approximate cost? If anyone knows. I tried going to their website but all they have is top off info. Since my DH is retiring end of next year, we will be going twice a year (hopefully) and staying a bit longer. I don't want to rent a cellphone for 3 or 4 weeks. We thought of buying one. We don't use it that much but its nice to have it. Also, does anyone know if Digicel has wifi hotspot like MIO does?

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Can you buy a cellphone from Digicel when you get to the island and if so, what would be the approximate cost? If anyone knows. I tried going to their website but all they have is top off info. Since my DH is retiring end of next year, we will be going twice a year (hopefully) and staying a bit longer. I don't want to rent a cellphone for 3 or 4 weeks. We thought of buying one. We don't use it that much but its nice to have it. Also, does anyone know if Digicel has wifi hotspot like MIO does?
    Buy an unlocked phone in the US - it'll be cheaper and you can then use it anywhere in the world. You then just get a SIM card in Aruba with a phone number and data plan (if you buy a smart phone like an iPhone) that you use for the duration of your stay... If you're going twice a year, you'll be able to keep the phone number as you'll be renewing the temporary plan on a regular basis. Setar can set it all up for you right at the airport.

Here's a link to unlocked phones for sale at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/unlocked-cell-...ode=2407749011

If you buy a smart phone (eg an iPhone) and then get a Setar data plan when you set up at the airport, you can then use it as a wifi hotspot (ie no need for the Mio) wherever you are on the island.

thanks, we just want a basic phone, not a smartphone. but its overwhelming. what are the key words we need so we can use it in aruba? thanks for any help

Aruba since 1979
    we have a basic flip phone (nokia) that we got at digicel in aruba.
    i think the phone was about $50 (but i might be wrong, it was long ago) and we add minutes to it on visits. every so often the sim card expires and has to be bought again along with minutes. quite reasonable...maybe we spend $25 in phone minutes total.

however gaby, we rarely use the phone and use our iphone/ipad/macbook almost exclusively using Skype or FaceTime.

key words in aruba at the cell phone kiosk........flip phone and prepay.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    thanks, we just want a basic phone, not a smartphone. but its overwhelming. what are the key words we need so we can use it in aruba? thanks for any help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast