Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cell Phone Charges

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Thanks Andrea, I found the digicel Aruba website but couldn't get a handle on just buying a phone from them. Maybe I can't read what they are saying. I did think about the facetime thing, which is available on our Ipad. The Skype is what I'm more interested in because the person just needs a computer, right, doesn't have to be anything in particular. I would feel better with a cellphone, one we can buy like you did, and just top off when we go. We are planning on being there twice a year for about three weeks each time so it would be economical and I would like a cellphone for those just in case moments.

We are planning our next trip for Thanksgiving time but plan on staying three weeks. So if anybody happens by a Digicel while in Aruba between now & sometime before then and can find out what buying a cheap basic phone would cost, would definitely appreciate the info.

I think I'd like to do what Andrea did, buy a cheap phone just to have and top it off when we go. Otherwise, most times with the kids (checking on our animals really), its all about texting, lol. they never answer the phone but always answer a text.

Aruba since 1979
    gaby...maybe there is one (or many) on ebay.

a basic UNSMART UNLOCKED phone on ebay AND when you get to aruba you buy a sim and minutes.

ask act1966 as he seems to know what he is talking about and i am kind of floundering.

Aruba since 1979
    i am NOT saying to buy this...however this is what we have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-3100-D...WiyBPiqDJEeUPA

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Thanks, that's basically what type we want.

My daughters put me onto an app called 'WhatsApp' you can use it via Wi-Fi to make phone calls and text with other smart phones that have the app installed.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    My daughters put me onto an app called 'WhatsApp' you can use it via Wi-Fi to make phone calls and text with other smart phones that have the app installed.
    Unfortunately, WhatsApp won't work on the type of phone Gaby wants. Neither will Skype.

Aruba since 1979
    yup but she can skype and what's app from her ipad

gaby is looking for the barebones basic cell phone (unlocked gsm)
    however, she does have an ipad and iphone

having this basic phone is just a convenience thing

we have one too and have iphone....my husband calls it belt AND suspenders
    last time in aruba, we did not use the nokia at all, which makes me question whether we will ever use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Unfortunately, WhatsApp won't work on the type of phone Gaby wants. Neither will Skype.

actually, I don't have an iphone but I do have an ipad. I'm starting to wonder if you're right, Andrea. When I had the rental phone, before it got stolen, I didn't even use it and I had it a week. I think I called our friend staying down the street. Maybe what I should just do is what you said, Andrea, skype. and if its an emergency, just use my regular phone, even if it costs me $1.99 a minute, it would only be for an emergency. Do you know when I was in Aruba, Lisa from the Radisson/Hilton and our friends staying in a house down the street both got in touch with me through facebook. Who knew? I never do that. Maybe I'll use that when I'm in Aruba.

Anyway, we have time. Can't book the flight yet cause its not available for our usual time. Did send an email to our rental guy our approx dates.

Let's just hope the MIO place is still where it was at the gas station when we go back. Our rental has setar internet and I'm sorry, but they are the worse. You'd get bars but no connection. our friends had the same trouble with the setar internet at their place. I reactivated the MIO, we had no problems whatsoever. Right now they moved to a gas station not far from where they were by SuperFoods. I hope they stay there, lol.

Gabby.......my wife purchased a cheap phone at a place at Certified. It is a basic pink and white Motorola. She paid $20us. It needed a SIM card from either Setar or Digicell. I have used both in it. It works but is really basic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup but she can skype and what's app from her ipad

gaby is looking for the barebones basic cell phone (unlocked gsm)
    however, she does have an ipad and iphone

having this basic phone is just a convenience thing

we have one too and have iphone....my husband calls it belt AND suspenders
    last time in aruba, we did not use the nokia at all, which makes me question whether we will ever use it again.
    Is the back up phone a "burner"?!? Please tell me you watched "The Sopranos"!!

Got it. So, Gaby, you'll need to buy the phone, get a SIM card with phone plan (in Aruba - Setar has a kiosk as you exit the airport), the Mio device (with data plan - unless you're just going to use FaceTime or Skype on Wifi...then you don't need the Mio) and then you're all set.
    Last edited by act1966; 12-28-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast