Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cell Phone "etiquette" in Aruba

Cell Phone "etiquette" in Aruba

After reading several threads covering the ins and outs of cell phone communications while visiting Aruba I was reminded of an experience not long ago on the beach at the Marriott Ocean Club.

For much of the day from our front row palapa (got in line at 6am to get it!!) we were forced to listen to a Boston architect conduct hours upon hours of business on his cell phone. We all understand the need to keep in touch but please remember the rest of us are on vacation and wish to be away from thoughts of business.

Personally I leave my cell phone in the room and check it at mid-day. But if you must talk on your cell please take the conversation off the beach or away from the pool.

Stay in touch if you must but please remember the masses of us that are in Aruba, not to stay connected but be disconnected.

Thanks
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    I agree with you 100% and especially if you are out to dinner or the movies. It is quite annoying. I was at the movies when I was there in May and there was a group of locals sitting in the same row. The girls were constantly taking pictures of eachother and showing the pics to their friends. To boot, whenever they took a picture, the flash of the camera was right on me and blinded me each time. It was very rude of them. If this happened in the USA, I would have told them off and told them that the next time I had to tolerate a flash in my eyes that I would put that phone where the sun don't shine. I hate rude, obnoxious people. Just wanted to vent here.

Aruba since 1979
    amazing as to what kind of conversations can be heard........and it is not eavesdropping!

i know when circumstances were different, and my parents were ill and living out their final chapters i had that phone glued to me 24/7. cell phones are an evil little necessity in many of our lives these days.

like anything, moderation and discretion might be a couple of the keywords.

so the architect, blabbing on the phone was being a BMOC and a jerk.
    being somewhat assertive if i were there, i think i would have said something to him and i probably would not have been my cheery pleasant self

Quote Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
    After reading several threads covering the ins and outs of cell phone communications while visiting Aruba I was reminded of an experience not long ago on the beach at the Marriott Ocean Club.

For much of the day from our front row palapa (got in line at 6am to get it!!) we were forced to listen to a Boston architect conduct hours upon hours of business on his cell phone. We all understand the need to keep in touch but please remember the rest of us are on vacation and wish to be away from thoughts of business.

Personally I leave my cell phone in the room and check it at mid-day. But if you must talk on your cell please take the conversation off the beach or away from the pool.

Stay in touch if you must but please remember the masses of us that are in Aruba, not to stay connected but be disconnected.

Thanks

I have a very simple solution. Give the person maybe 15 minutes, if it continues just walk up to that person grab the phone and throw it in the water, walk back to your chair, take a sip of your drink and lay there like nothing even happened.

We have the cell phone etiiquette here in NJ when commuting on trains / busses. Only use your phone if it's an emergency.

At any rate I agree, if you really need to make an extensive call take a walk so you do not disturb other vacationers. Actually, it should be common sense!

I am in the cell phone business and must say that I totally agree with everything said. What really gets to me is the constant communications while at restaurants. C'mon guys, rent a phone if you need but use it wisely. Sadly, this is now infecting kids that are not even teen-agers yet.
    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Banned
    OMGosh...this is one of my pet peeves! When someone is annoyingly talking on the phone and acts as we really should care about their pathetic little life, I give them "the look". It sort of looks like this, , but much more intimidating.

I'm an easy-going, mind-my-own business, non-confrontational type of gal; but don't be in my space gabbing on your cell. If "the look" doesn't work, I get their attention, and quietly say, "Hey, guess what? No one here cares! Hang up, you're being rude!"

"We have the cell phone etiiquette here in NJ when commuting on trains / busses. Only use your phone if it's an emergency..."

If only that were something that was infectious.

Consideration, something that goes a long, long way, no matter where we are.

blessings...
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

ENTHUSIASM!!!!

Enthusiasm is a disease for which there is no known cure.
    ( and it doesn't bug the neighbor negatively )

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    "We have the cell phone etiiquette here in NJ when commuting on trains / busses. Only use your phone if it's an emergency..."

If only that were something that was infectious.

Consideration, something that goes a long, long way, no matter where we are.

blessings...
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    I have a very simple solution. Give the person maybe 15 minutes, if it continues just walk up to that person grab the phone and throw it in the water, walk back to your chair, take a sip of your drink and lay there like nothing even happened.

We have the cell phone etiiquette here in NJ when commuting on trains / busses. Only use your phone if it's an emergency.

At any rate I agree, if you really need to make an extensive call take a walk so you do not disturb other vacationers. Actually, it should be common sense!
    I usually give people one polite and friendly warning before that happens. It's one of the times that being a big, mean looking guy works to my advantage.

I like to move in close and rudely and obviously listen to the cell user's conversation. The more uncomfortable they get, the shorter the conversation is.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast