Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cell phone rental, or download a app on phone?

Aruba since 1979
    Have the boys use their smart phones and skypeQUOTE=nikko;256026]ok....need some help...me and technology are not exactly best friends and i am gonna be traveling with 5 boys (18yrs) whom all have girlfriends who are freaking out. lol What will be the best way for them to keep in contact....and yes i will need it explained like your talking to a child. lol[/QUOTE]

Nikko - My teens used facebook and email to keep in touch with friends, girlfriend, boyfriend during our last visit. I convinced them they didn't need to make a phone call. Not so sure they bought into that at first, but they became well versed on where the wifi spots near us were located. Now, so many hotels have Wi-Fi access.

Also, I have a question about the Magic Jack app. Does anyone know if that can be used iphone to iphone on the island? We don't call home during our visits, as our family knows we'll contact them if we have a problem or need something and vice-versa. I would, however, like to be able to contact the kids if they go off on their own while we're on the island.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Nikko - My teens used facebook and email to keep in touch with friends, girlfriend, boyfriend during our last visit. I convinced them they didn't need to make a phone call. Not so sure they bought into that at first, but they became well versed on where the wifi spots near us were located. Now, so many hotels have Wi-Fi access.

Also, I have a question about the Magic Jack app. Does anyone know if that can be used iphone to iphone on the island? We don't call home during our visits, as our family knows we'll contact them if we have a problem or need something and vice-versa. I would, however, like to be able to contact the kids if they go off on their own while we're on the island.
    To make calls from I-phone to I-phone both phones need to be on Wi-Fi.
    To make a call there will be 3 choices after you download the app. All are free calls.
    1. Get a Phone # and Voicemail
    2. Log in to Your Magic Jack Account
    3. Continue to Make Calls

I always clicked on the 3rd choice to make a call back home. The caller ID on my home phone would show a different random area code and phone # each time I called home. I couldn't receive a call in Aruba from home on Magic Jack because of the different phone #'s.

Last week on my I-PAD I clicked on the 1st choice to get a phone # and voice mail. I received a e-mail to put in a code into Magic Jack which I did. But it didn't give me my personal phone #. The bulb went off in my brain and I called my home # on the I-pad. My new phone # with a local area code came up on the caller ID. I called my home # on the I-PAD a few times and the same local # came up. Now I can leave that # at home when I'm in Aruba and there will be no long distance charge for my family to call Aruba. I also called my home phone and left a voice mail. Works great.

Besides being on Wi-Fi your family would each have to get the personal phone #.

P.S. I just put the same free personal phone # on my I-phone.

The kids can use the free whatsapp for texting when on WI-FI.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 04-21-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks for the info. Gotta keep up with all this tech stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12