Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Amy~

Thread: cell phone use

Banned

cell phone use

Last night on the local DC news was a woman who just got back from Aruba. She took her Android smart phone and said she just checked her e-mail. Her next month's bill was well over $1000. Has anyone had issues like this?

Aruba since 1979
    she obviously did NOT read the threads on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    Last night on the local DC news was a woman who just got back from Aruba. She took her Android smart phone and said she just checked her e-mail. Her next month's bill was well over $1000. Has anyone had issues like this?

She didn't turn off her data roaming. When I bought my new smartphone last August, I called my provider (T-Mobile) about international use since it was a new phone with alot of bells and whistles - they told me that unless I turn off the data roaming, I could come back with a HUGE bill. You can still use your phone for text messages and phone calls in Aruba but turning the data roaming off will keep your phone from constantly updating iteself via apps and websites.

It always pays to ask questions and be as informed as possible.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

It is precisely this kind of thing that keeps us in business (unfortunately).

TURN OFF THE ROAMING
    TURN OFF THE DATA PLAN
    LEAVE YOUR APPS ALONE AND DISCONTINUE UPDATES.

Not to worry, we are all impressed with the fact that an Android is owned. No need to go broke over it.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    when we go to aruba, we rent a cellphone there. but, before we get it we will need to get in touch with the property manager to let him know to meet us at the place. i will have to use my verizon phone.

my question is, if i wanted to text him from my verizon phone to an aruba cellphone just to say we're here, meet us in 20 minutes. how do i do that? do i need to punch in a bunch of numbers prior to his cellphone number? since my cellphone is a usa number and a nj exchange, what would i punch in prior to his cellphone number while in aruba to just text. i figure texting is alot cheaper than calling.

Aruba since 1979
    you would punch in 011 297 and then the 7 digit number

I contacted my provider and set up a international data and text plan for our phones durning the month of October while we are there.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thank you guys

Unfortunately this is the way it is

It's very unfortunate but those are the facts. There are some programs that can minimize your expenses. Check on those carefully before leaving home. I have seen all other Hybrid usages and plans but at the end of the day, if you are planning to be in touch with home for about 90 minutes during your stay here, then renting is pretty much the least expensive way to go.
    there are several cell phone rental companies on island, check them out (check us out too LOL)

be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles