Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cell Phone Use

Cell Phone Use

I have read a lot of other posts about this but i have a few specific questions:

First off i am going to buy a unlocked GSM phone and bring it with me (because i go to Aruba each year).

So i plan to get a digicell sim card at airport kiosk.

Here are my questions:

1. Where is kiosk in airport?
    2. How much is sim card?
    3. Does sim card come with minutes and if not how do i pay for minutes?
    4. I read something about 5 month expiration, please clarify this.

Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    Digicel Kiosk is right there at the airport OUTSIDE of the luggage room after you pass thru Aruba Customs.

The SIM card is approximately $20 and will give you about 2 hrs +/- talk time

Good question on expiration..........i have had mine since May 2012 and i used it in May 2012, Nov 2012 and in a few weeks, i know it will need to be replaced.I will update you then on exact cost and exact expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwcarboy View Post
    I have read a lot of other posts about this but i have a few specific questions:

First off i am going to buy a unlocked GSM phone and bring it with me (because i go to Aruba each year).

Here are my questions:

2. How much is sim card?

Thanks

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Okay, since I'm technologically challenged, if I wanted to get my own phone, GSM unlocked (which I'm clueless what that means), how do you know which one to get that will work for Aruba? I usually rent a phone in Aruba but since we go each year, it might be prudent to buy one.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    also, one other question. if you buy a gsm unlocked phone, does that mean you are paying for it each month at home? because then that wouldn't be worth it economically.

It is my understanding the Sim Card will expire after 90 days according to Digicel, So every 90 days I add minutes to my account, so when I go I wont have to stand in line for 20 minutes. Is this less expensive, absolutely not, but I just want to go directly to my hotel and I add minutes online without the hassle of getting a new sim card with a new phone number.

"You need to top up or make a call every 90 days to keep the SIM active.

Best regards

A.

Antonia Graham
    Digicel Group I Head of Group Public Relations
    Telephone number: +1 876 564 1708"

Quote Originally Posted by jtwcarboy View Post

Here are my questions:

2. How much is sim card?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pattyt; 04-20-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    yes i thought 90 day to be the case as you wrote in your post.
    i was very surprised that mine was still current since it went unused from mid may til early november 2012.
    i expect that in our upcoming trip i will have to get a new SIM. but i was wrong before

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyt View Post
    It is my understanding the Sim Card will expire after 90 days according to Digicel, So every 90 days I add minutes to my account, so when I go I wont have to stand in line for 20 minutes. Is this less expensive, absolutely not, but I just want to go directly to my hotel and I add minutes online without the hassle of getting a new sim card with a new phone number.

"You need to top up or make a call every 90 days to keep the SIM active.

Best regards

A.

Antonia Graham
    Digicel Group I Head of Group Public Relations
    Telephone number: +1 876 564 1708"
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-20-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    • Gaby
      No, it is pay as you go on a SIM card.
      You can buy an UNLOCKED GSM PHONE
      bring it to aruba, insert a SIM card
      you will be good to go.

UNLOCKED GSM phones can be found at Amazon, Ebay.....about $50-60 for non smart phones.

If you have an Iphone or a smart phone here in the states, call your provider...Verizon or ATT or whomever....ask them if your phone is GSM UNLOCKED.
      If it is, you will be able to use your own phone.

My Iphone 4, Verizon does not fall into this category.
      That is why we bought a cell and reload minutes every time we go to Aruba.

thanks, Andrea. I think I'll start doing that. You just go to Amazon and put unlocked gsm and it doesn't matter which one you buy? I would only use it for aruba so it doesn't have to do anything fancy, just be able to call and receive calls. Do you get a phone number with the phone?

Aruba since 1979
    the SIM card comes with a number

every time you replace the sim card, the number changes

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    thanks, Andrea. I think I'll start doing that. You just go to Amazon and put unlocked gsm and it doesn't matter which one you buy? I would only use it for aruba so it doesn't have to do anything fancy, just be able to call and receive calls. Do you get a phone number with the phone?

oh, okay, thanks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast