Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cell Phone Use

thanks for the info and quick reply. i only have the iphone 4, not the 4s... i will have to stop by one of our local stores and see if there is an actual international plan i can get for while we are there. that would be the easiest i think, but when i looked it up online, it didn't seem like it was an option.

i do have another iphone 4 that a friend gave me (with a cracked screen) to use strictly as an ipod for the car. how can you tell if it's a 4s? i really don't think that it is. either way it's not connected to a network and it was a verizon phone originally. was hoping to figure out a way to do face time, but i'm not coming up with any good solutions.

Aruba since 1979
    go to SETTINGS to GENERAL to ABOUT and that will give you the lowdown on your phone model. 4? 4s?

where will you be staying?
    lots of places have free wifi (in their lobby)

you can do skype for free on your iphone, just download skype app and you can make your calls for very cheaply or free skype to skype

i have the iphone 4 and our carrier is verizon.
    it does not have a sim card.

in aruba, i use skype when i have wifi available.
    i always keep the phone in airplane mode.

even if you have an international plan, believe me the costs are steep (roaming and data).

you might be better off renting a plain old cellphone from aruba fastphones or another cell company.

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    thanks for the info and quick reply. i only have the iphone 4, not the 4s... i will have to stop by one of our local stores and see if there is an actual international plan i can get for while we are there. that would be the easiest i think, but when i looked it up online, it didn't seem like it was an option.

i do have another iphone 4 that a friend gave me (with a cracked screen) to use strictly as an ipod for the car. how can you tell if it's a 4s? i really don't think that it is. either way it's not connected to a network and it was a verizon phone originally. was hoping to figure out a way to do face time, but i'm not coming up with any good solutions.

Looks like it's just a 4.

We are staying at the Tamarijn. I will have to look into the whole skype thing, but I don't think my parents (who will be keeping our boys) have the capability to do it...and my kids' kindles and ipods don't have cameras so that wouldn't work.

I was planning to just keep my phone off or in airplane mode to take pics. Not really use it for anything else except for the occasional phone call home, if possible. I know the last time we were there, I called my mom from the room, maybe collect? can't remember, but I think she got a bill for at least $40 for it. That's just crazy!

Is there a website for the phone rental in aruba? I would be able to call international and it would be included in that rental, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    go to SETTINGS to GENERAL to ABOUT and that will give you the lowdown on your phone model. 4? 4s?

where will you be staying?
    lots of places have free wifi (in their lobby)

you can do skype for free on your iphone, just download skype app and you can make your calls for very cheaply or free skype to skype

i have the iphone 4 and our carrier is verizon.
    it does not have a sim card.

in aruba, i use skype when i have wifi available.
    i always keep the phone in airplane mode.

even if you have an international plan, believe me the costs are steep (roaming and data).

you might be better off renting a plain old cellphone from aruba fastphones or another cell company.

Aruba since 1979
    you have the capability to put skype onto your iphone
    your parents do not need it, all they will have to do is answer their phone
    since they will not have skype, it will be pennies, 3 or 4 per minute paid by you when you sign up for skype.
    (you'd buy skype credit when you sign up)

cell phone rentals:
    you have the capability to put skype onto your iphone
    your parents do not need it, all they will have to do is answer their phone
    since they will not have skype, it will be pennies, 3 or 4 per minute paid by you when you sign up for skype.
    (you'd buy skype credit when you sign up)
    cell phone rentals:

www.fastphonearuba.com (owned by one of our members "charles")

www.discountcellaruba.com/

renting a cell phone would probably be the least confusing and least problematic for your needs.

the cell phone rental company WILL issue you a number prior to your arrival.
    they will deliver the phone to the Tamarijn

You are just wonderful Andrea!! Thank you so much!!

I was thinking that the whole skype thing was just like facetime. didn't realize you could just make regular calls.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for the kind words.

the cell phone/ smart phone/ sim card/wifi stuff is very confusing to all.

we have many threads all talking about cell phones/smart phones and sim and it is very time consuming to all members, guests and me that are trying to muddle their way thru it.

while in aruba this past may, i ran into a gentleman from my hometown that was staying at the renaissance ocean suites.
    my husband and i were also staying there.
    anyway, this gentleman and i had a long iphone related conversation and he was telling me of the great verizon international plan.
    he was on his phone with lots of voice calls. (he is a funeral director/funeral home owner)
    i asked him about using skype over wifi instead of verizons international plan.
    he kept insisting that his plan with verizon was the best way to go for calls to the usa.
    i finally shut my big mouth as there was no way telling this man and i was just embarrassing myself.

well, a few weeks ago, he messaged me on facebook and told me that verizon stuck it to him and his bill was over $400 just for those aruba to usa calls.
    i dropped him a note in return and said only that i was sorry to hear of this.

years ago, a friend swore that the resort room phone (tamarijn) was the best way to go for calling her elderly in-firmed mother for a 2x daily check in.
    i advised her to grab a cell phone rental in aruba and go that route. she was afraid she'd lose the cell or it'd get stolen. her charges for the calls made to MA from the tamarijn room phone was exorbitant too.

aruba.com community forum needs an additional moderator earmarked only for smartphone/wifi questions/concerns

I purchased an inexpensive phone in aruba. It work as good as the expensive ones. You get a pre paid sim card and off you go to call the USA. You just have to add money to it every 3 months. By going on line to Digicel and top it off every 3 months. Unfortunately I forgot so I have to start over and get a new sim card when I get to aruba. I just read about using the hotel phone I had to call my husband twice a day I use my cell phone from AT&T and just about lost my mind when I saw the bill.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 07-25-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additional information

Okay, so after some review....I believe I will be renting from "Charles" and his company. Seems like a great deal. Does it keep track of the minutes used or left on the phone somewhere. I've never used a prepaid cell before.

Not sure how soon we would be back to Aruba for the purpose of adding minutes to phone to keep it active though.

Does anyone know what it may cost for someone from the USA to call these phones? I am so clueless on all this international calling stuff!

Aruba since 1979
    it keeps track of the dollars or florins left.
    private message CHARLES and he will be able to answer your questions about the phone that he rents.

i cannot even make a guess on what it costs to call aruba from the usa.
    i use SKYPE using wifi when i call aruba from florida. it is a few pennies a minute...maybe .03 per min.

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    Okay, so after some review....I believe I will be renting from "Charles" and his company. Seems like a great deal. Does it keep track of the minutes used or left on the phone somewhere. I've never used a prepaid cell before.

Not sure how soon we would be back to Aruba for the purpose of adding minutes to phone to keep it active though.

Does anyone know what it may cost for someone from the USA to call these phones? I am so clueless on all this international calling stuff!

So i got rid of my Galaxy S4, and went back to IPhone, got the 5. i just wasn't comfortable with the Galaxy, too much going on and too many quirks.
    Question - can i buy a sim card to make outgoing calls to the U.S. for pennies, and put it in my iphone? But then i would have to put the original card back in the phone to retrieve my voicemails and texts, correct?

I don't make that many calls anyway, so maybe its not important. Also the last few years the Marriott gave me 30 minutes of free calls to the U.S. from my room. And i get free WIFI in the hotel as well, both in my room and in the hotel common areas.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast