Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cell phone use

Cell phone use

Can anyone explain in terms for a person (me) that has no attention span, how to buy a chip for a GSM cell phone on the island? I just want to buy a chip, plug it in to the phone and make calls on the island if needed. How much is the chip, how much is the airtime and how many minutes do you get? Is it cheaper to call back to the US?

There are so many threads on cell phone use. Use the search box to read a few.

Basically you can go to the Setar store or the kiosk in the airport and have them set it up for you. I do not know what current rates are, but I'm sure there is some fairly recent information in the other threads.

As for calling, it is actually much less expensive to call back to the US from Aruba than it is to call somewhere on the island.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    is your phone a smart phone? if so , you can be making skype calls for pennies or for free

pls do as jacki says...enter cell phone or sim card in the search menu

i have an iphone 6+ and the sim is accessible from a little side door.
    my plan is to stop at SETAR and buy an aruba SIM for my stay.
    my guess is it is approximately $30-$40 which will give you X amnt of air and data.

do some reading on this using the search feature.
    i too will try to find some threads that are appropriate and link them here.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBAH1DAD View Post
    Can anyone explain in terms for a person (me) that has no attention span, how to buy a chip for a GSM cell phone on the island? I just want to buy a chip, plug it in to the phone and make calls on the island if needed. How much is the chip, how much is the airtime and how many minutes do you get? Is it cheaper to call back to the US?

Aruba since 1979

Here is what I've decided to do this year. My kids are not going to Aruba with us. They are 18 and 20, and we are never ones to need to talk everyday, but I do need for them to be able to get in touch with me in an emergency via imessage, email, FB. I don't want to drag my new iphone6 around to lose it, get sand or water in it or break it.

Sooo, I dug out the old iphone4. It is not set up with cellular service, but I can use imessage when connected to wifi, which will also allow me to check email and FB. Imessage is not a separate app, it's simply the text messaging on the iphone. I plan on checking it once or twice daily. And hubby only need to make sure data is turned off and that he is connected to wifi.

Doing it this way, I only have to pay for wifi service. No new sim card needed. And I realize this won't get me uninterrupted service as the Setar wifi service works at hot spots. But, like I said, I just want to be able to be contacted if there is an emergency. If I need to start making calls if something happens I'll deal with that if and when.

I also think with iphone facetime works with wifi.

Being connected to wifi will also allow me to post a trip report as we go along. Last time I posted when I returned. Maybe this time I'll try to do it while there.
    Last edited by AUA1989; 03-24-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add'l info

Aruba since 1979
    Also too using the wifi you will be able to skype and FaceTime.

I I also have an old aruba (digicel) unsmart phone. We had been bringing that but this coming trip not.

We are here now and use Verizon and have never had a problem......but this year we have no service??? I had our daughter call Verizon and they say there shouldn't be a problem international calling is turned on? Yesterday we were sitting at Hooters and there is a cell tower within 100 feet and still nothing, I'm baffled?

My son takes care of momma... every time he upgrades his phone I get his old one (don't care it's free and the previous one) he pays the bill too.
    He told me I have unlimited international text, wifi and what ever else he put on it. And $0.20 a minute from Aruba
    Will only call home if he needs me too.
    I know it is a Samsung Galaxy S5 what ever that means...
    Told me if I call from Aruba it's $0.20 per minute. Not too bad... will only call home once a day to check on the kids. (maybe lol)

Aruba since 1979
    be prepared for huge roaming fees

Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    My son takes care of momma... every time he upgrades his phone I get his old one (don't care it's free and the previous one) he pays the bill too.
    He told me I have unlimited international text, wifi and what ever else he put on it. And $0.20 a minute from Aruba
    Will only call home if he needs me too.
    I know it is a Samsung Galaxy S5 what ever that means...
    Told me if I call from Aruba it's $0.20 per minute. Not too bad... will only call home once a day to check on the kids. (maybe lol)

I won't enjoy seeing my next cell phone bill. I am here in Aruba now, and was planning on using Skype. Because the internet is so bad at La Cabana, Skype doesn't work. I have been using my phone (Verizon works fine for me), so I will have $1.99 a minute billing. Hopefully, Skype will become the option next week at Playa Linda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast