Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cell service in AUA

Cell service in AUA

Hello All,

Hubby and I will be traveling to Aruba on Saturday, and have been discussing cell phone usage. We currently have T-Mobile which offers unlimited text and data in Aruba. While this is great, we won’t be able to make calls. In your opinion, is it worth it to take an unlocked phone and get a SIM card on island? If so, where do I do this? Thank you in advqnce

Aruba since 1979
    There is a Setar kiosk at the airport right outside and to the left after you go thru Aruba Customs.

A better more more reliable product than Digicel
    imo

will your current plan cover roaming?

if so then use it and make Skype calls instead of a
    new
    plan thru Setar
    Quote Originally Posted by hmitchell_travelplanner View Post
    Hello All,

Hubby and I will be traveling to Aruba on Saturday, and have been discussing cell phone usage. We currently have T-Mobile which offers unlimited text and data in Aruba. While this is great, we won’t be able to make calls. In your opinion, is it worth it to take an unlocked phone and get a SIM card on island? If so, where do I do this? Thank you in advqnce
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-14-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hmitchell_travelplanner View Post
    Hello All,

Yes. SETAR has a kiosk as you exit the luggage carousel at the airport. No fuss, no muss.

I have T-Mobile and use Whatsapp to make calls and send messages/pictures. It works great and it's free!

Thank you all! I need to get onboard with WhatsApp apparently

You can also use Facebook Messenger Audio and/or Video calling for free over wifi. Works really well if you have decent wifi coverage and are contacting another Facebook user.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    You can also use Facebook Messenger Audio and/or Video calling for free over wifi. Works really well if you have decent wifi coverage and are contacting another Facebook user.
    This is what we use, too - we use the free wifi service at our hotel, restaurants, and a few other spots around the island and then Facebook Messenger for free audio and messaging.
    ~Amy~® - Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018 --
    Italy: Nov./Dec. 2018

I have T-Mobile and usually just use their service. As hmithcell said it is free texting and slower data. Calls when not on WIFI usually run me a $1/min I think, if I am not using WIFI. The most extra I've ever paid is $11 one year for a 2 week trip. And that was the year I pocket dialed someone back home for like 20 minutes before figuring it out. :-(

Although I will admit the date is much slower than here in the US and has made me consider getting a SIM card when I get down there.

I have the Setar sim card in my iphone. Hubby just set his iphone to internet calling and only uses it in the condo or where there is internet. We also have magicjack on his phone and in the condo.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I have the Setar sim card in my iphone. Hubby just set his iphone to internet calling and only uses it in the condo or where there is internet. We also have magicjack on his phone and in the condo.
    Magicjack on a cell phone while in Aruba? That sounds interesting. May I ask what cell phone provider you are using?

My hubby set up a Magicjack at our home. Calls from the USA to Germany (landline) are only 2 cents/min, calls to a cell phone 10 cents/min.
    No other charges or fees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast