Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Checking Eamil on Android Phone

My husband just found out he needs to be able to check email while we are in Aruba. He has an android phone that is unlocked and plans on getting a prepaid sim card at the airport. What do we need to do to get data for the phone so he can check email?? He refuses to bring his laptop, since we are on vacation!!

Thanks for any advice!!

One more sleep....WAHOOOO

If you want to check email from your android phone then just remember to turn off your "data roaming" when you're done. If you leave it on, your phone will continue to update data and you will incur HUGE charges. I would call your cell phone service provider to find out about all of the extra charges while in Aruba.

I use my android phone while in Aruba (my provider is T-Mobile) but I only use it for an occasional phone call or text. I turn off my data roaming when I arrive and do not use email from my phone (I use the hotel computers or my Netbook for email.)

Have a great trip!
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I suggest the following.

First of all, ARUBA AMY is correct. When Junior and I go on vacation, I make sure to turn off the DATA ROAMING feature if not needed. if not, it amounts to one long continuous call which ruins my checkbook and my vacation. What I do is to inform that I will pick up mail twice per day. Once in the morning to allow me to respond and once in the evening to allow me to recap.

I also clarify that if it gets sent to me, it better be important. (Don't fall for the "all mail is important" bit).

This is really not a plug - when I travel I get a local SIM card or rent a phone if possible and make minimal calls.

I just let relatives know that - short of death, I am not calling. If I kick the bucket, it becomes someone else's responsibility to make the call. That normally gets the message across, which is I'M ON VACATION!!!!!!

be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
    My husband just found out he needs to be able to check email while we are in Aruba. He has an android phone that is unlocked and plans on getting a prepaid sim card at the airport. What do we need to do to get data for the phone so he can check email?? He refuses to bring his laptop, since we are on vacation!!

Thanks for any advice!!

One more sleep....WAHOOOO
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    If you want to check email from your android phone then just remember to turn off your "data roaming" when you're done. If you leave it on, your phone will continue to update data and you will incur HUGE charges.
    This is absolutely correct. http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news...roaming-021711

3:43 seconds into the video in the link above, there are instructions on how to turn off the data roaming feature on your smart phone.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    There is a lot of misinformation regarding how you get billed for roaming, but it is also very confusing.

But a few tips for receiving mail abroad is:

Make sure to only receive headings when retrieving emails on the phone unless you have bought an unlimited plan here in Aruba (setting in your email client on your phone) .
    That gives you all the headline information such as "From" "subject" "size" "time".
    This is very little data and as you normally pay for data received and not time online, it will be very cheap, but also ensures that you don't download (and pays) a lot of Spam or unimportant email. Then you can choose which ones you will mark for a full download.

Normally a email is very cheap to download, but it is the attachments that cost money, so only download them if you really need them.

Several hotel lobby's, cafe¨s etc have free wireless and with your Android phone you can hook up to them and download all the email you want for free.

If you can figure it out in the settings also make sure that when you answer an email, that you don't include the attachment in the emails.

Disable "push" in your email client.

If the free wireless zones are not enough, you can go to Setar (www.setar.aw) and buy a weeks worth of wireless access which is at most of the tourist areas and that will normally be a lot cheaper that buying a data service (1 week $35). They also have prepaid cards that you will be able to use for email.

Have fun here

Carsten

Thank you for all the wonderful advice!

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

Where are you staying? A few resorts provide free internet computers. Others allow you to buy time on internet computers.