Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Children...."unsupervised"

Yesterday at the Aruba Beach Club pool we saw security asking some preteen boys where their parents were. They seem to be very proactive here on unattended children.

In all my trips to Aruba the only place where I encounter difficult children is on the flight and or in the airport while waiting for my connecting flight, I once had two kids reading over my shoulder while I was reading a graphic novel. They backed off once I let them borrow it to read..well more look at the pictures since they did not speak a word of English. There was one kid who during my second visit and stay at CPV was a bit of a wild hellion, in that he threw people's clothing, sandals, towels and books into the pool, used the hose to spray down people and approached any and everyone to ask them the most annoying questions. The little bugger chased me with a buck of pool water as I was on my way out one evening and when he saw me reading by the pool came over and tried to take my kindle away from me. As I did not want to yell at the child I just gave him the glare. His parents and siblings were not too far away when all this was going on, his mother would call him over and tell him to "Leave the nice man alone!" That just made him want to annoy me even more.

Speaking of CPV they instituted a new rule, of the two pools on the grounds one has been designated for adults and the other has been designated for kids. My cousin who was a few days shy of his sixteenth birthday on their last trip is very tall for his age and could pass for nineteen, then again even when he was younger he was never all that wild and always knew when to reign in his annoying behavior. He used the same pool with his parents and security assumed that he was over seventeen.

During my stay at La Cabana and the Marriott Surf Club the few kids that I saw were either supervised by the parents or staff who lead them in activities and stuff. Then again, my last two trips to Aruba took place in September, when school is in session and I figured that I would not run into too many kids on the flight or at the resort. There were a dozen or so teenagers who should have been in school, I even overhead one talking about how she had brought along home work to do one her trip with her parents, and another mentioned that her school had been back in session since early August and that she was on break.

I understand that parents want to enjoy their vacation, but leaving their kids unattended by the pool or allowing them to run wild all over the resort is not fair to the other guests who came there to enjoy their time on Aruba. The best options, stay at a resort where they have supervised activities for kids or leave the kids at home with their grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.

Being on vacation does not mean abandoning all parental responsibilities and causing an inconvenience to fellow guests. And also just as you would not leave your kids unsupervised at home, you really should not do so in a foreign country. Don't abandon your common sense.

Don't worry. You were right to speak out. You didn't change my mind!! We've waited 5 years to go back to the Divi! I agree about the kids though. Mine are 27 and 25 and I just have to give them " the look" and they know to knock it off! I agree that some people think everyone is there to watch their kids. Last time were were in Aruba there was a couple there that sat in their chairs and yelled at their kids all day long.

Maybe we'll see you next year. We are going in October!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom23 View Post
    Don't worry. You were right to speak out. You didn't change my mind!! We've waited 5 years to go back to the Divi! I agree about the kids though. Mine are 27 and 25 and I just have to give them " the look" and they know to knock it off! I agree that some people think everyone is there to watch their kids. Last time were were in Aruba there was a couple there that sat in their chairs and yelled at their kids all day long.

Maybe we'll see you next year. We are going in October!
    Yes, and we have decided if we return next year it will be in October, either for our anniversary or DH's birthday! Too many good times vs. bad times most likely will give it another try :-)

Palm Beach, Renaissance Island, Arikok National Park
    This past trip while staying at the Riu, we continuously witnessed kids jumping up on the bar tables in the new shallow "drinking pool". 1 child actually slipped and fell but thankfully wasn't hurt. Parents nowhere to be found. My wife went and told one of the bartenders about the kids being on the tables but he said basically "they will just keep doing it no matter what we say". If that child would have gotten hurt, I'm pretty sure the parents would have been pissed at the resort instead of realizing the child had no business being on those tables.
    Aruba Trip #9....March 2019....

At the HI they have a child's pool & adult pool but the kids do not use the kids pool. There are signs, but no one enforces the rules (I blame the hotel). I hate to get splashed and have to listen to the yelling "Marco Polo". After 2 days of this, I just stayed in the ocean. A few years back at the HI these 2, 8-9 year old boys were throwing those little pebble rocks in the pool and the parents just watched them do it! This lady said, hey, stop that! The mother gave the woman a dirty look. Then last year in the adult pool, a mother had her 1-2 yr old and the baby would not stay in the water and kept trying to get out and just kept screaming and the mom just stayed in. I just don't understand why the mom didn't go in the kids pool, it really is nice. Maybe next year I'll go into the kids pool! LOL

It seems to me that the parents of those kids are the ones needing the most supervision... and they need to have a little respect to others too...

A little : I was at a local beach this past summer. It was crowded. A kid was playing near where I was sitting with a pail and shovel. Before I know it, I have sand all over me and in my beach bag. I told the kid to move away. The mom did nothing, other than to give me the evil eye.

Aruba since 1979
    sadly there are parents who not only "don't get it", they also "don't care"

it is tragic......it's a form a child neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    At the HI they have a child's pool & adult pool but the kids do not use the kids pool. There are signs, but no one enforces the rules (I blame the hotel). I hate to get splashed and have to listen to the yelling "Marco Polo". After 2 days of this, I just stayed in the ocean. A few years back at the HI these 2, 8-9 year old boys were throwing those little pebble rocks in the pool and the parents just watched them do it! This lady said, hey, stop that! The mother gave the woman a dirty look. Then last year in the adult pool, a mother had her 1-2 yr old and the baby would not stay in the water and kept trying to get out and just kept screaming and the mom just stayed in. I just don't understand why the mom didn't go in the kids pool, it really is nice. Maybe next year I'll go into the kids pool! LOL
    I have to say I noticed an improvement at HI. When. We first stayed there they had a rainfall water feature in the adult pool that naturally drew kids in. They have removed it, wisely.
    We don't use pools too often but we did not notice kids in the adult pool this trip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast