Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Christmas in Aruba - tell me about it

Christmas in Aruba - tell me about it

Hello! I found this forum to be so helpful when I was planning my first trip to Aruba back in 2008 and now I'm finally going back. In fact, we are buying a week from my husband's grandmother and will likely be spending this Christmas and hopefully many to come in Aruba.

So what is Aruba like at Christmas? Any fun things to do? Are restaurants open? I can't wait to be back in Aruba!
    Can't wait for fun in the sun!

In my mind, it IS the MOST special time of the year to be in Aruba. There are Christmas decorations everywhere.

The only bad part about Aruba at Christmas is the number of people. AND, the price of airfares.

Many restaurants remain open but may have special hours and special menus.

Boxing day, December 26, is celebrated in Aruba and is a national holiday as well.

Stores downtown have extended shopping hours

If you are in Aruba for New Years as well, there is the Dande Festival.

Aruba since 1979
    christmas in aruba is WONDERFUL

make your dinner reservations at least a month out, 2 months for christmas eve and day.

Oh thanks for the tips. I'm going to remember to make reservations. Once we book our airfare. We may get there during the week as to avoid the Saturday rush.
    Can't wait for fun in the sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Albany2Aruba View Post
    Oh thanks for the tips. I'm going to remember to make reservations. Once we book our airfare. We may get there during the week as to avoid the Saturday rush.
    Absolutely positively if at all possible avoid arriving on the Saturday before Christmas. There WILL BE extra flights coming in that day, there WILL BE a wait for you luggage and there WILL BE traffic downtown with folks doing their holiday shopping.

Christmas in Aruba is great! Away from all the pressures and you can always have a "White Christmas". Only it the white sand.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

From a visitors point of view, it is a time when there are pine trees laden with lights - twinkling not far from the sound of surf. In the middle of the hot day, there may be a Santa Clause somewhere, preferably in the shade or the A/C. there is a general confusion to many on the differences and innuendos between Snt Nicks and Santas' - however it makes for interesting and fun reading. Food fluxes between turkey and traditional Aruba Dishes such Keshi Yena. Store fronts have the audacity to spray the fake snow on the windows and the sign "BON PASCO" means Have a good Christmas and does not have anything to do with a "Free-Pass" to anything. What was an intimate home and religious ceremony is now a poor copy of what happens in North America. Yet - it works somehow. But to answer that question in a very specific way and perhaps not addressing the original intent, let me say this -

Somewhere on the island, there will be a home that does not have a Christmas tree, however will have candles. That home will be a bit more reverent on that day and bathing and washing will start early in the day. The family that resides there will go to the church of their choice and worship their God. Children will be told stories by adults. Dinner time will be special and children will have washed and combed their hair a bit better. Table covers never used, will be brought out to verify that this is a special day. Fathers will have special words and first born will be asked to lead prayers. In the final analysis, thanks wil be given to something specific. It will be Christmas on Aruba and in that place and in that moment, our most important asset - tourism - will be asked to take a fleeting back seat.

Christmas in the caribbean

be well
    charles
    Last edited by charles; 06-15-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: left something out
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

I have been spending Christmas / New Years on the island for the past 5 years and would not miss it. It is a great time and the people on the island really celebrate it. No PC crap, just a real happy holiday spirit. . . . .

Tom and Stanley

We will be going home right before Christmas on the 22nd but I hope we get to see some of the Christmas spirit everyone is talking about. It sounds really interesting.

Sorry if off-topic...but I suppose Thanksgiving is not really celebrated in Aruba?
    We will have the in-laws visiting us...

Tks
    Baluba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast