Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Coconut opening w/ machete, is it legal to have a machete?

Coconut opening w/ machete, is it legal to have a machete?

I have been to Aruba before but I am unsure of the laws regarding knives there and cannot find any information online about them. I purchased a 12" machete to take specifically to open coconuts while I am there next month. That is the smallest one they make, and I only plan on using it on the beach to open coconuts with. I know you can buy them and have them opened in front of you for $3-$5 a piece from street vendors, but the hotel I stay at told us we could pick and eat/drink as many as we would like to for free. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide as many details as I can. I obviously wouldn't be walking around on the streets with it, would only use it on the hotel grounds or island to open coconuts. I have checked with the airlines and they said there are no rules against it that they know of and as long as it is in a case/sheath I can transfer it in my checked suitcase. Just want to make sure i'm not violating any laws or facing any fines or arrest if I do take it. Thanks for any advice/information!

actually this post is comical.. are you serious?
    i wouldn't want someone sitting next to me on the beach with a machete...

Yes i'm serious... They take about a minute to open and as I stated above other people have and use them on the island so i'm assuming they can't be illegal. It's not like I would be running up and down the beach swinging it around and chopping anything up. I would use it to cut open a few coconuts a day and that's it. I don't know what was so comical?

Glad you said it Ricky, In my 15 plus trips I haven't seen anyone walking around with a machete , or street venders breaking them open for 3-5 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Glad you said it Ricky, In my 15 plus trips I haven't seen anyone walking around with a machete , or street venders breaking them open for 3-5 dollars.
    We have seen vendors at both Arashi Beach and behind the Ren Mall downtown cracking open coconuts and letting people drink the milk. I've also seen them mix it into drinks. Not sure of the cost, but know these people are paying for it.

You must not get out too much Cosmo... Here's a blog mentioning it with photos, i've seen one cart around the same area every time i've been, and often along the road en route to different beaches to snorkel I have seen roadside stands and carts with fresh coconuts as well as vendors with Machetes used to open them... Maybe you don't see to well or don't get out much, who knows. Either way, I didn't start this thread to argue with anybody or as a joke, I simply wanted to know if it was illegal. If anybody has any info that would clarify that for me, please let me know. If not, thanks for looking but I don't need any smart comments saying i'm going to be "walking around with a machete" after I clearly stated that i'm going to be using it only by my room or beach chair to open coconuts. I'm not going to be running around with some huge sword out or anything, I will keep it in a case inside of my bag when not in use. Unless somebody saw me opening one up in the 60 seconds it would take, they wouldn't even know I had it with me.
    Last edited by zwatkins; 10-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Yes behind the Ren Mall is the area I was referring to, thank you EHampite.

Aruba since 1979
    i think people are just surprised to see the question.
    we have a few jokesters here that are sometimes quite funny (bill and arubamark to name 2.

i do not know if it is legal or not.
    i would imagine if it is in a sheath it "might" be legal.

i will pass your question on to the ATA office and maybe he can ask if it is legal of not.

i am changing the title to clarify your intent as not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by zwatkins View Post
    You must not get out too much Cosmo... Here's a blog mentioning it with photos, i've seen one cart around the same area every time i've been, and often along the road en route to different beaches to snorkel I have seen roadside stands and carts with fresh coconuts as well as vendors with Machetes used to open them... Maybe you don't see to well or don't get out much, who knows. Either way, I didn't start this thread to argue with anybody or as a joke, I simply wanted to know if it was illegal. If anybody has any info that would clarify that for me, please let me know. If not, thanks for looking but I don't need any smart comments saying i'm going to be "walking around with a machete".

Thanks for the help Andrea. I assume it is fine since I have seen people with them and using them, but I just wanted to make sure. It would be in a sheath inside of a backpack at all times except when I need it to open a coconut. I would obviously not walk around with it holding it on the streets or use it to threaten anybody. Like I said, it will ONLY be used to open coconuts and other than that it will not even be out in the open. I appreciate your help!

http://www.thelitbitch.com/?p=1069 is the blog I attempted to link to earlier, wasn't at 5 posts yet so I couldn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast