Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Commemorative 1st edition Coin :-) pretty!

Aruba since 1979

Commemorative 1st edition Coin :-) pretty!

http://www.aruba.com/news/general-ne...-image-of-owl/
    Courtesy of The Morning News

Commemorative First Issue Aruba Coin Bears Image of Owl
    General News Wednesday, August 15th, 2012
    The “Koninklijke Nederlands Munt” in Utrecht, the Netherlands, has minted a special commemorative Aruba coin embedded with additional information that can be read with a Smart phone. By scanning the coin with a Smart phone, the user will be able to learn more about Aruba’s cave owl. The owl is also embedded on the Aruba coin. The “Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt” is the first minting house in the world to use the “augmented reality” system to mint coins with embedded contents.

This commemorative Aruba coin is available for purchase for about 50 Euros. Only 2500 coins have been minted. On the face of the Aruba coin, which has a value of 5 Aruban florins, the cave owl which lives only on Aruba is engraved.

Several months ago, the owl was proclaimed Aruba’s national symbol. For this reason. the Central Bank of Aruba decided to have a commemorative Aruba coin minted. Everyone who scans the coin with a special app will encounter the embedded information of this protected owl and information about the coins of Aruba. On the face of the Aruba coin the owl is embedded in color which was made possible through the use of a special photographic technique.

For information on where to purchase one of these commemorative coins, please consult the Central Bank of Aruba.

Courtesy of The Morning News

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    what a pretty coin!

Thanks for the story Andrea. It's one of the reasons I check in throughout the year, even when, sadly, my next trip is ages away. Okay, it's now less than six months, but it feels like ages! It is a very pretty coin. I hope it sells well. How cool that you can scan it with your smart phone for additional information.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Hi Andrea,
    I want one for my husband as a gift for Christmas, but with only 2500 minted, think there's a chance of getting it? I checked the bank's website and so far, it's not on there yet. Keep us informed, if you know of when they will be available for purchase.
    Thanks bunches!

cool coin, didn't know there were owls in aruba....bad aruba fan, bad michele.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    we used to see, many many burrowing owls on aruba.

they have dwindled over the years due to construction (their habitat being destroyed) and by certain snakes that are not indigenous to aruba.

there are probably many other reasons, but i don't know them.

we have a great horned owl that visits a crape myrtle tree in our backyard.
    he is currently sitting on the ball washer thingy at tee box of #16.(we live in a golf community) he is actually quite bold and extremely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    cool coin, didn't know there were owls in aruba....bad aruba fan, bad michele.....