Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Commercial development Oranjestad

Commercial development Oranjestad

What happened with the large commercial/residential building located next to the cruise ship pier? I remember it opened and there were some retail stores in there and then it has been empty ever since then. I haven't been down since last spring and I think it was still empty at that point.

Aruba since 1979
    i have heard different stories re: permits, structural integrity and poor economy.

we did note however, that in november, the few retail stores on the first floor were not open the couple of times we drove by, but they did not look like they were out of business.

how many of us see that building and shake our heads and wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    What happened with the large commercial/residential building located next to the cruise ship pier? I remember it opened and there were some retail stores in there and then it has been empty ever since then. I haven't been down since last spring and I think it was still empty at that point.

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach
    it is an eye sore...hopefully it will be revived

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I think it was originally supposed to be apartments or condos but there were major problems with the structure. I also seem to remember there was a lot of opposition to it but some political favors allowed it to be built. Maybe Charles can shed some light.

In Sept we were told that it had recently been sold to a developer and plans were in preparation. We were having lunch at a restaurant acroos from it and there were workmen stripping some facings off the building. In a similar question. Does anyone know if Nobles Jewellers has re-opened. The tax department shut them down due to some alleged irregularities in Sept and the windows were all papered over. Has the situation been resolved ?

Aruba since 1979
    was that jeweler located in that building?
    if not, maybe a separate thread in the shopping section would be the appropriate place for that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    In Sept we were told that it had recently been sold to a developer and plans were in preparation. We were having lunch at a restaurant acroos from it and there were workmen stripping some facings off the building. In a similar question. Does anyone know if Nobles Jewellers has re-opened. The tax department shut them down due to some alleged irregularities in Sept and the windows were all papered over. Has the situation been resolved ?