Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Don
  • 2 Post By Arubalisa
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 2 Post By ricky59

Thread: Concern for the future

Don

Concern for the future

I have just returned from a three week stay in Aruba. As always the Island is a wonderful place to visit. Over the last two or three years I have witness a steady increase of the intrusion of beach/water sport vendors. I fully understand that they have, and should have, a location on the beach. However over this this time I have watched several vendors increasing their aquatic inventory and spreading out way outside their assigned area. I submit this is not in the best interest of the Island nor the visitors that come to enjoy the beach. I'd like to give an example and clarify that this is not all vendors. A good example of this is on Palm Beach a vendor named Frank's Place. Every morning he or his personnel spread out their equipment across the beach. A small fraction of their equipment is used during a normal day, yet he refuses to limit his spread. Other vendors in the same area are much more considerate and provide exactly the same water sport service. Every year there seems to be a little more intrusion. I am seriously concerned with the visitors access to the beach and its view in the future. Don Weiss

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to your first posting don

palm beach is so narrow that every square inch is "sacred"

i am thinking that you could write to the minister of tourism and the aruba chamber or commerce as a way to get your views known to those that may have input on how much space the vendors should be getting.

i am interested in reading other's views.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I have just returned from a three week stay in Aruba. As always the Island is a wonderful place to visit. Over the last two or three years I have witness a steady increase of the intrusion of beach/water sport vendors. I fully understand that they have, and should have, a location on the beach. However over this this time I have watched several vendors increasing their aquatic inventory and spreading out way outside their assigned area. I submit this is not in the best interest of the Island nor the visitors that come to enjoy the beach. I'd like to give an example and clarify that this is not all vendors. A good example of this is on Palm Beach a vendor named Frank's Place. Every morning he or his personnel spread out their equipment across the beach. A small fraction of their equipment is used during a normal day, yet he refuses to limit his spread. Other vendors in the same area are much more considerate and provide exactly the same water sport service. Every year there seems to be a little more intrusion. I am seriously concerned with the visitors access to the beach and its view in the future. Don Weiss

Love that the number of watersports vendors at the Radisson started at 1 and has now gone to THREE, said no one EVER.

Concern for the future-beacha.jpg

Hmmmm. We started using Frank during some of our first visits about 25 years ago when he only rented "floaties". When we visited the last few years we had teenagers with us and thought the opportunities Frank's Place had was great for the kids. I guess I didn't think about the amount of space they use. The only reason these types of places keep popping up is because people use them. Over the years I've seen more and more families bringing children, and kids want activities. Demand, supply.

I've mentioned before that we didn't take young children on an Aruban vacation because for us that is no vacation. We took the kids only when they were older. My concern for the future is more and more small children, which creates the need/want for more beach activities and also kids clubs, arcades, playgrounds for those young kids. My fear, more than beach vendors taking over is the place becoming disneyworld-like.

I agree with this and am considering writing a letter as suggested. We walked from the Surf Club to the Kite Surfing area and the vendor sprawl was ridiculous. One of the vendors with the water trampoline had it out of the water and standing up behind their table. It had to be blocking the view for about 50 people.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    vendor sprawl...............GREAT name for it Tracey

public beaches... But, guarantee most don't have proper insurance.....
    Last edited by ricky59; 03-02-2015 at 06:23 PM.

It is totally out of control. We have just returned from 3 weeks on Palm Beach. There are more shacks and they are building them much bigger now. What I can't figure out is how they all make a living. I sit beside or behind the shacks a lot (I think there are 5 shacks in front of the Ocean Club alone, should be 2 max). On average, I would say they actually rent to approx. 3 customers a day, they only talk to maybe a dozen people all day. Working from 11am - 3:30pm or so. Pretty much just brokering the deal and calling a boat. They probably have to pay the boat owner the majority of the income as they have the large expense.

I actually saw one of the vendors selling cocaine to a guy!

I think we need to do an e-mail blitz to someone in the Arubian government who actually cares.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-11-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: with permission from Sunbum to edit