Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Concerned with Drugs

Concerned with Drugs

So just so all understand, I am a pretty understanding, none prude mid-40's child of the 80's. None of what I am about to say is racists in any way.

We have been coming to this fine island for 6 years. We love our resort and we love the Arubans island. I am seeing a slow degredation in some aspects of the native youth (both black and white). What used to be the smell of weed in passing late at night years back has now turned into day time, in your face, smoking joints/pipes with no concern of consequence.

There is a group of about 4-6 young men that hang out between rental place in front of Surf Club, Hadicurari, the Hadicurari pier and Moomba's. Smoking, acting out, hollering at young ladies, banging on pier, etc. Joint or pipe in one hand, tossing football with other, or just haning, singing and oh yes - selling. Today was especially painful to watch as 4 of them where playing soccer and smoking all while a 5 year old was joining in with them kicking the ball.

I very much would like to react and surprised others haven't. Cops on ATVs are non-existant. Cops doing their circuit are infrequent and just drive out on beach and leave.

What I cannot know for sure is the relation between this group and some of the workers for the rental place in front of Surf Club. They at least seem to be friends, but not sure if they are also sometimes working. I would hate to think that and do not want to indicate that unless I knew for sure.

I will add to this a story that Bully shared with me in June. The hip/hop concert they had in June was filled with fights/drugs, etc and had to be stopped. This and I am hearing from other travelers that taxi drivers are offering drugs (weed) for sale.

This is certainly not a good trend and I am thinking of writing many to express concern. Marriott and the two establishements indicated above. They could do a better job of keeping them out of the area and the police/government need to get some foot police (or atv) in the area all day.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences like this? I am just concerned of this growing beyond and ruining not only the Arubans beautiful island, but also our resorts/timeshares from an enjoyment, safety and value.

I love Aruba and feel we need speak up and help where possible with this growing thug/drug issue.
    Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for posting
    i have forwarded on to the ata office to make them aware and they can forward on to whom they see fit.

since it is happening near the surf club, has the surf club been informed?
    it might be worth mentioning at an owners meeting.

enjoy your stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
    So just so all understand, I am a pretty understanding, none prude mid-40's child of the 80's. None of what I am about to say is racists in any way.

We have been coming to this fine island for 6 years. We love our resort and we love the Arubans island. I am seeing a slow degredation in some aspects of the native youth (both black and white). What used to be the smell of weed in passing late at night years back has now turned into day time, in your face, smoking joints/pipes with no concern of consequence.

There is a group of about 4-6 young men that hang out between rental place in front of Surf Club, Hadicurari, the Hadicurari pier and Moomba's. Smoking, acting out, hollering at young ladies, banging on pier, etc. Joint or pipe in one hand, tossing football with other, or just haning, singing and oh yes - selling. Today was especially painful to watch as 4 of them where playing soccer and smoking all while a 5 year old was joining in with them kicking the ball.

I very much would like to react and surprised others haven't. Cops on ATVs are non-existant. Cops doing their circuit are infrequent and just drive out on beach and leave.

What I cannot know for sure is the relation between this group and some of the workers for the rental place in front of Surf Club. They at least seem to be friends, but not sure if they are also sometimes working. I would hate to think that and do not want to indicate that unless I knew for sure.

I will add to this a story that Bully shared with me in June. The hip/hop concert they had in June was filled with fights/drugs, etc and had to be stopped. This and I am hearing from other travelers that taxi drivers are offering drugs (weed) for sale.

This is certainly not a good trend and I am thinking of writing many to express concern. Marriott and the two establishements indicated above. They could do a better job of keeping them out of the area and the police/government need to get some foot police (or atv) in the area all day.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences like this? I am just concerned of this growing beyond and ruining not only the Arubans beautiful island, but also our resorts/timeshares from an enjoyment, safety and value.

I love Aruba and feel we need speak up and help where possible with this growing thug/drug issue.

Thanks Andea - With regards to Surf Club, I have never seen any "partake" or sell in front of the resort. It is always in front of Moomba's, or the pier, along with selling there also and upstairs at Hadicurari's new rooftop bar. I have 7 more days of observation.
    Next Aruba trip in

Smile

The Marriott owns the Hadicuraris
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Really? The pier, not the restaurant, correct?

Ok... time to go with my cooler if "legal" refreshments. Cheers. Hoping for some sun today!
    Next Aruba trip in

have seen smoking at pier where depalm tours have their trips for past 10+ years, but never any trouble, just passing of the joint...doesn't seem to bother anyone or offend anyone....(I assume this, since I've seen it for so long).....we are down at the low rise hotels and so do not see it happening everyday....will have to check with a few friends and see what their opinions are.....I do know however that although it is not legal on the island that law enforcement didn't bother anyone as long as smoking was done on the "Q-T" before and not out in the open and "in your face"....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

The Marriott owns the reastarant. The guys just rents it from the Marriott
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Administrator
    Bon dia all,

Thank you Thadius65 for your comments, we appreciate these concerns from our guests.

This is a consistent issue we have, some years it's worse than others but still there nonetheless. The ATA has met several times in the past with the government as well as the Police department on this matter.

We really hope it gets resolved fast before it gets out of hand and affects our guests in a negative way, ultimately affecting the tourism industry of our island.

I have emailed my colleague, Mrs. Gloria Vega who is charge of the Guest Services Department and she will be handling this further. She might send you an email as well.

Masha danki to all who commented and know we are working on making Aruba better for our guests as well as the local community.

Have a wonderful day!

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks rayon!

Wow that service. Good to hear that this community has some positive pull!

Sean and Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast