Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To Connect or To Not Connect...that is definitely the question in my house

To Connect or To Not Connect...that is definitely the question in my house

On our previous 3 trips to Aruba and a cruise we took, my dh and I agreed no cell phones, no laptops, no social media. We left our family our travel itineraries for emergencies, and turned our phones off on the plane. I have to admit, it felt kind of nice to just live in our own little bubble, it was relaxing. We are both Facebook junkies and typically have a phone within arms length 24/7 so the break is nice. We have made a couple of exceptions over the years for special occasion phone calls like my mom's bday, but there were only a couple of those.
    Fast forward to our upcoming trip...we will be staying for 10 days. Communication is just so much easier when you can call or text (with an international plan of course). And we will have friends at the same hotel for part of our trip. Plus I have never gone a birthday without talking to my mom - she thinks I'm a cornball for bringing this up and that she will be fine, but it still is an awkward thought for me. And the kicker, Jon and I both play fantasy football and will need to update our lineups once or twice during our stay. So now the dilemma is do we bring a tablet and cell phone and try to limit our use? Or do we stick to our ban on electronics and use the hotel computer lounge to check our fantasy teams and send the occasional email? I know myself, if I have a tablet, I will be on it.
    What do you do? I know a lot of you update your trip reports daily, do you do that from a beach lounger or balcony? Previous years I have taken notes and written my trip report when I got home. Not counting those who check in for work, how many people plan to stay off the grid in Aruba? What do you see as the positives and/or negatives?
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 09-11-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We stay connected with a laptop and an iPad. No phones as we don't have an international calling plan. We have done OK using the timeshare's free wifi in the loby and library and with purchased internet access from Setar. Given the lousy reception with Setar last year, we may stick with the free wifi. It forces us to spend less time on the computer. We do Skype to talk to our grandson.

Aruba since 1979
    Well the positive of being "shut off" is that you get to live peacefully without your "things" .

You need to do what is right for you and your dear husband.

Paul and I both read on our iPads or listen to audiobooks on our iPhones. When we stay at the Renaissance Ocean Suites, there is free wifi at Renaissance Island, so while we are at the beach we log on every now and again during the day.
    The last few times while at Renaissance, our rooms were close enough to the lobby to pick up the wifi signal so we were online most evenings after dinner.

Again, you need to do what you feel comfortable with and what we say our only our opinions.

I love being able to FaceTime my son, my dog sitter, my nieces, enjoy being on the forum and enjoy Facebook.

.........and now that we have a grandson, how can we not participate in daily face times with him ??!!
    But that's me.

I was thinking along the lines of keeping the tablet in our room and only using the hotel's wifi sparingly. I just see it as such a convenience for looking up restaurants and other attractions, and of course fantasy football and the occasional facebook check. This debate will continue for us, I'm sure. The good thing is that Jon and I share a lot of the same feelings on it.
    I can only speak as a grandchild, but your grandchildren are blessed to have such interactive grandparents! And Andrea, yours sure is a cutie!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    he is indeed tracey, thank you.........children are the rainbow.........grandchildren are the pot of gold.

facetime is the savior with the 1500 mile distance between us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of keeping the tablet in our room and only using the hotel's wifi sparingly. I just see it as such a convenience for looking up restaurants and other attractions, and of course fantasy football and the occasional facebook check. This debate will continue for us, I'm sure. The good thing is that Jon and I share a lot of the same feelings on it.
    I can only speak as a grandchild, but your grandchildren are blessed to have such interactive grandparents! And Andrea, yours sure is a cutie!

We use our tablet to scan emails while on vacation. However I can say it does not cut into our precious beach time.

Dh and I typically go online while waiting for the other to shower or after dinner just before bed. No harm no foul.

My father downloads his local newspaper to read off line on the beach. Personally I turn off the wi-fi on my Kindle to save the battery, not that it is an issue, just habit.

Our family's rule of no TV while on vacation still remains intact.

We're struggling a bit with this for our upcoming trip. We always disconnected and thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of not being connected. Family always had the number for the hotel. However, this past year we have been permanently attached to our phones even since DH had his transplant. So, he wants to totally disconnect and tell the doctors he won't be available. I'm leaning towards getting the International plan and just telling them we will check for messages. I know too much info, sorry about that!! Our preference though is to disconnect and enjoy.

One half hour at bedtime and a half hour before CindyO rises in the morning; work related. Other than that, it is off. Why deal with work? In a strange way I find it soothing to read and file e-mails, or, to forward and delegate. I find it easier to deal with things than to wonder what's going on. Call it " The Curse of the A-Type Personality".
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

We bring the whole shootin' match: iPads, laptop, phone. There's no disconnected for us anymore... Unless we're underwater. Still waiting for that waterproof iPhone! We stay at villas so wifi is readily available and we have an Aruba phone number.

We use google maps a lot on the island (it's amazing how accurate it is) and FaceTime friends and family to tell them the weather report and watch them get really really jealous. LOL

We also do a lot of photography and load to the cloud. And I'm not sure how else we'd contact our local friends or confirm restaurants without a phone.

But we don't check or contact work. Ever.

We actually find it stressful being disconnected so, like a few people said, personal preference!
    Last edited by act1966; 09-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i bring a tablet so in the morning (i get up early), i can drink my coffee and check emails, etc. we rent a townhouse so i use to get a wifi card but this time i'm doing the mio device since the wifi card is tempermental and everyone raves about mio. our townhouse doesn't have wifi believe it or not. I do rent a cellphone while there, just a regular phone, no fancy smartphone. i need to check on my babies (my cats). believe me, if it wasn't for the phone call every other day to see how they are doing, i wouldn't even rent a cellphone. i have my kindle. Lisa, I do the same thing, I never have my wifi on my kindle (basic kindle) unless I'm downloading a book and then I shut it off again. no need for wifi on a simple plain kindle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast