Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Country codes

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

Country codes

I know a lot has changed with things with cellphones with GSM or CDSM or whatever it is. I thought I read you now do 1+ 297 etc. do we not use say for a call to Aruba, the country code anymore, which is 011? Would it be +1-297 or 011-297?

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Aruba stills uses the country code. 011-297-then the local #. Calling from Aruba it's 001.

Aruba since 1979
    calling TO aruba is 011 - 297 -xxx-xxxx

calling from Aruba to the USA is 001- (then the area code xxx) xxx-xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    Aruba stills uses the country code. 011-297-then the local #. Calling from Aruba it's 001.

Calling from your verizon phone to Aruba while in Aruba...don't use any country codes, lol.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thanks, now that i found i can take my home phone with me to make calls, i was curious. free to usa and 44 cents to aruba whether home or in aruba. if you have comcast home phone, its so so cheap.

Aruba since 1979
    your home phone is VOIP? (internet calling)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    thanks, now that i found i can take my home phone with me to make calls, i was curious. free to usa and 44 cents to aruba whether home or in aruba. if you have comcast home phone, its so so cheap.

LOL, I don't know what VOIP is but yes to the internet part. I have the comcast/xfinity app on my ipad. its sort of like facetime only you can call anyone. its like you were in your own home calling so if i call someone from aruba to home, i don't need the USA country code or anything. However she did give me the cost of calls for say Aruba, etc. If I were to be in Aruba and let's say called a restaurant, i would need to use the country code & area code. The cost would be 44cts a minute. alot cheaper than Verizon. Now I can not receive calls because I don't have a cellphone that works with the new GSM or whatever. But if i had a smartphone, all I would have to do is forward my home phone to my cellphone and i could receive calls. Its called Voice To Go by Xfinity. The cost let's say for making a call while in Italy to someone in Italy would be 8 cents. It would be zero to call home.

Gaby, it's time to step up to a smart phone. While in Aruba last month I used wi-fi calling and as long as I had a wi-fi connection, incoming and outgoing calls were free. No SIM cards, no MIO, just a wi-fi signal. I found free wi-fi all over the place. Your smart phone will auto detect a wi-fi signal if you are within range. A lot of places are getting it on the island now, and for places that have a "locked" signal, everyone I asked gave me the password.