Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Credit Card Fraudulent Charges @home and elsewhere

Aruba since 1979

Credit Card Fraudulent Charges @home and elsewhere

Please make sure when using your credit cards in Aruba and really anywhere else.......
    - let the credit card company know when you will be gone, where you'll be and when you will be home.

-check your statements carefully and thoroughly to see if there are any errors/fraudulent charges.

- let the credit card company know asap that there is suspicious charge so they can investigate.

In the past 48 hours I have received 3 fb messages re: cc fraud
    2 of them were from the same person who may or may not post about it on the forum, but suffice it to say it happened in Aruba

The other was from a friend who got scammed right here in Florida.

When we pay a meal with a credit card,Paul always goes with the server and keeps the card within his sight while it is away from us.

Crooks are everywhere it seems
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-03-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    Use of ATM debit cards.........
    in Aruba or at home

Even though some/most/all ? have a credit card logo on them, please know DEBIT offers no protection.
    A thief can clean out your checking in the blink of an eye.

Credit Cards offer much protection, debit = none.

Let this also be a reminder as to why its not a good idea to use a debit card, especially if it will be out of your sight. It is a lot easier to dispute a credit card charge and your money stays safe in your bank account. We still prefer to use credit rather than carry cash, but like Andrea said, watch your statements. Even on my cards that have a zero balance, I still log in online every 2-4 weeks to make sure there isn't any activity.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 01-03-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Excellent info. My DH just got a call from his credit card company (Cabela's card) who has excellent customer service. Early on a Monday morning right before our Aruba trip, someone had his cc information and used it 3 times early Monday morning. It was crazy a total of $800 spent, a couple hundred at a Walgreens which I am not sure what you could spend in one trip there, then 2 trips right after each other at a local grocery store. Made me so mad to think they had so many groceries for free but had to let it go. At least my DH was not responsible for the charges. Also, thank goodness we found out right before our trip or that card would have been useless to us, we always call beforehand for our trips. I have to admit I used to be a loyal debit card user but now only use cash or cc.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I was just having this discussion with the guy at the bank this morning. we were talking about that. I never use a cc away except for car rental and phone. otherwise, it is always cash. we have what is called our "food//activities money", I have my own money (shopping, gambling) and my hubby has his own money. I've never run out in my category, lol, and we always finish off at the airport bar in Aruba with our "food/activities money", lol.

American Express no longer accepts notification of travel. The way they explained it to me, they have safe guards built into their system. They do suggest that you keep your contact info up to date.

Because of LACK OF PROTECTION on debit cards we have stopped using ours entirely. Why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    American Express no longer accepts notification of travel. The way they explained it to me, they have safe guards built into their system. They do suggest that you keep your contact info up to date.

Because of LACK OF PROTECTION on debit cards we have stopped using ours entirely. Why take the chance?
    Canadian Visa is phasing out travel notifications as well. They said their algorithms look for spending anomalies.

Just one point: credit cards are still the safest form of payment to travel with (as opposed to debit cards and cash). You can always reverse the fraudulent charges and, if you get mugged, the cancellation is one phone call away. Cash is gone for good. You can also monitor charges to your cc online in real-time if you want to be even more stringent.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Beware of one of the newest tricks in stealing your info. It is so easy for the crooks that it sounds unbelievable. Crooks can simply scan many cards as you walk by them, with the right program, then use your card info to buy stuff. I wasn't aware that my card was one of those until I went into a coffee shop the other day and handed the guy my card. He simply tapped my card on something and the transaction was done. My wife bought a new card holder for her purse last week. It is scan proof. Technology is moving a little too fast I think.
    On the debit card issue, we have never had one and don't intend to get one.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    arubabob, that trick has been around for a while with being able to scan your credit card. i have my credit cards in a bunch in my wallet with my supermarket, drug store and costco cards on top and in back so if they scan anything, they are getting cards that are not credit cards. And I'm with you on the debit cards. though my visa has it on there, i have never used it. i think I can count on one hand how many times I've used the ATM in a year.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    arubabob, that trick has been around for a while with being able to scan your credit card. i have my credit cards in a bunch in my wallet with my supermarket, drug store and costco cards on top and in back so if they scan anything, they are getting cards that are not credit cards. And I'm with you on the debit cards. though my visa has it on there, i have never used it. i think I can count on one hand how many times I've used the ATM in a year.
    I have never used an ATM. I don't even know the code for it. DW does use it now and then.
    Last edited by arubabob; 01-06-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast