Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Credit Cards

Credit Cards

Has anyone found that Discover is NOT widely accepted on the island? Should I bring a different card?

I dont recall it not being accpted BUT you need to call your credit card company before arriving and tell them you are going there and the dates or your card is shut off untill you contact them . This is a fraud prevention thing . Ive had it happen to me not knowing I had to pre call them.

Aruba since 1979
    friend's of ours have been more disappointred than not about the acceptance of the "discover card". i cannot remeber the restaurants that did not accept it, but discover is not as widely accepted as master/visa/amex.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by abomb30 View Post
    Has anyone found that Discover is NOT widely accepted on the island? Should I bring a different card?

When we called Discover to tell them we were traveling they said the card won't be accepted in Aruba and it was - not all over - but enough for us. We always carry Visa/MasterCard just in case.

We messaged Discover Card a couple of days before and informed them of the dates we would be in Aruba. We used our Discover Card exclusively and had no problems. Gotta love that cash back bonus.
    Nancy K

Next Aruba trip in

we never take discover card with us , I've found alot of places at home that don't accept the card ...m/c or visa is the way to go

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    it's about a 50/50 split on who takes it and who doesn't..bring it, use it, but just make sure you have a back up card or cash..
    scott and tricia

Have a question off the Discover card topic, it just made me think of it...I am going to take American Express Travelers Cheques this year. I cashed out my rewards for the cash but have never used them before in Aruba. Has anyone had any problems using Amex travelers checks ??
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

It has been a while since I had used them. My findings where, if the store understood them, no problem, if they did not a slight issue. But that was years ago, I think they all understand now!!!

Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abomb30 View Post
    I was surprised by how many places did not accept ANY kind of Credit Card.