Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CREDIT CARDS vs CASH

CREDIT CARDS vs CASH

First visit to Aruba coming up in December. Hotel's all booked and now we're looking through different activities (sunset sail, sail/snorkel, jeep tour, etc) that we plan on pre-paying for. We're just curious if, once we're there, we'll be better off using CC's rather than carrying cash.

We use cash mostly, however we use a cc when renting a car.

Personal preference.

We feel more secure carrying minimal cash so use a credit card.

HOWEVER, most credit cards charge a 3% foreign exchange fee for any charges put through as florins and not US dollars.

To get around that issue we use a Capital One credit card. They do not charge the 3% fee.

Cash vs Credit Cards

Just a suggestion...for what it may be worth...; it is a good idea to let your credit card company know that you are out of the country, (Aruba), and the dates you will be there in case of unauthorized charges to your account.

Right?

Ed

Aruba since 1979
    absolutely right!!
    also let your bank know too so they are aware of debit/atm transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Edronenburg View Post
    Just a suggestion...for what it may be worth...; it is a good idea to let your credit card company know that you are out of the country, (Aruba), and the dates you will be there in case of unauthorized charges to your account.

Right?

Ed

Great advice!!! I'm sure cash is the way to go however if we run out of cash it's nice to know CC's are an option. Do any of you know if the cabs take credit cards?

Arubalisa, do you get a referral fee from Capital One?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mcaleer1 View Post
    Arubalisa, do you get a referral fee from Capital One?!?

I wish. If someone is able to name another company which offers a credit card which does not charge an international transaction fee for florins, I will gladly mention them as well.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i was reading about that in the travel section one sunday and it seems capital one is the ONLY credit card that does NOT charge a fee. of course that's the one i do not have, lol.

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    I use a equal amount of US$$, Credit Card, and Amer Express Travel Checks in Aruba. Card for big charges like resort. Amer Express Travel Checks for restaurants.
    Last June my Costco American Express Credit Card did not charge a fee in Aruba since charges run through in US$$. Ling and Sons did ask to see a Photo ID. At Ling and Sons the Checkout Register converted amount to US$$ and charge was processed right there on charge machine and card did not get out of my sight. Think card numbers are sometimes copied down when they leave your sight and your card # is used again. Most new charge machines are now just printing out like the last 4 digits on the charge slip.
    CABS Do not think cabs take credit cards. Just good US$$.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 10-19-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I wish. If someone is able to name another company which offers a credit card which does not charge an international transaction fee for florins, I will gladly mention them as well.
    I have 3 cards that do not charge an international fee. 2 of them - AMEX Gold and Continental MC Presidential Plus do charge an annual fee, but my Marriott Visa reward card is free and does not charge an annual fee. I used all 3 of them in Aruba in July without any international fees.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast