Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crime on the resorts? Finally it hits...

Yup, we're off topic.... sorry about that folks.
    I entered this as Andrea was entering that we're off topic.

I'm not sure how often it happens either, I'm just reporting something that was reported to me... I'm hearing more and more about the occurrence of this sort of thing. I've heard about muggings in parking lots, the bank and jewellery store theft attempts...
    without sounding laissez faire about it... it's growth and greed.
    It's wanting something you don't have and deciding it's okay to just TAKE what you want. That's a wonderful way to look at the world.

As for the question of would I want my children...? Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the Lady and I don't have any children.
    She figures she has enough to deal with watching over me...
    And as for the trashy gangsta image... you can thank the music trade and the proliferation of videos for that.
    I've seen that taking place on the island for about the last 10 years, again, the music trade and so-called social and peer pressure to fit in.
    I'm just glad most of the young men on the island know how to pull their pants up...
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 11-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

The Visiblity Team is very much on Palm Beach, they walk by (at least 6 of them) 2-3 times a day.
    Scotts Brats
    Playa Linda Resort
    facebook - Legends Pub Aruba
    legendspubaruba.com
    Legends Pub

As comforting and reassuring as it is that the visibility teams are still out and about, considering the amount of chatter on the board about drug dealing by Moomba, the dealing that happens up and down the strip of public beach at Druif (I can vouch for this, I seem to get approached at least once a year in this area), and now the occurrence the other eve at the Tamarijn, it's seems fairly evident that 2 or 3 times a day isn't sufficient to dissuade the local dirtbags from doing what they do.

Perhaps it's time to step up the patrols again? I can distinctly recall in years past hearing and seeing the patrols up and down the beach into the evening and sometimes early hours of the morning.

Maybe time for something like a Neighbourhood Watch on the island?
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

As I posted when we where on the island about drugs and a more aggressive nature of some of the young islanders, this all has the potential to progressively get worse if the ATA and authorities do nothing. The young islanders are not afraid as it stands right now.

Yes, this happens at home and other vacation spots, but I don't feel that is relevant. The point is we are seeing this go from very very low, to more frequent and appearing to pick up in frequency and types of issues. PLEASE, PLEASE ATA/Authorities - address while it is fixable. Your island and natives are too good for this! Get some feet on the street and the sand to deter.

A concerned Aruba lover - Ted
    Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    i forwarded this along to rayon of the ata.

If you look approachable you're going to be approached! Simple fact...any island any country...we are very close to drug countries....just say NO.
    Scotts Brats
    Playa Linda Resort
    facebook - Legends Pub Aruba
    legendspubaruba.com
    Legends Pub

Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    If you look approachable you're going to be approached! Simple fact...any island any country...we are very close to drug countries....just say NO.
    That is so true. On our two trips to Aruba we have been approached once each time and both times were at times that we were clearly partying really hard. My husband also wears popular brands for surfers/skateboarders and I have to say at the times we were approached, we both had drank quite a bit and probably looked approachable. The first time, we had ballon hats on from Senor Frogs while walking down the street . That time it was on the front side near the Hyatt area, we simply said no thanks and that was that, we kept on walking and the guy stayed where he was. On the 2nd occasion we were at Bugaloe and everytime my husband went to the bathroom, the guy was near the pier and would joke around with him about making a purchase, to the point that it was annoying, but never threatening. I blame my husband a little though, had he not responded to the guys first comments, even in a joking manner, the guy probably would not have said anything else to him.

On the nights when we were a little more dressed up for dinner, (I mean a collared shirt and sun dress, nothing major) or just walking around in the Palm Beach area calmly and not in our "drunk look", we didn't have an issue. We have been to Moomba several evenings and while we noticed the teens hanging around the rocks on the beach, we never had an issue there.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

There is something illegal about me disagreeing with anyone that comes to our island as a tourists. So here goes - lock me up!

Crimms,
    your theory does not hold water. Sure you can buy a safe against the thieves, however what do you do to your lovely daughter to protect her from those issues? Put her face in a box when she goes swimming? What do you do to your car when you lock the doors and go for a swim? Burn it to make it unattractive? And on and on and on. Surely the fault of the crime lies with the criminal and not with the precautions or lack of them. I know you agree.

Here is the sad part - Aruba was a happy and very safe place to be. It is still happy but to keep pace with the rest of the world, we have an increasing (not decreasing) crime rate. Sad. Population has grown, I-Pads appeal to the non-working young, -everyone JUST HAS TO HAVE a GALAXY or I-PHONE and $200 jeans and $175 sneakers (Oooops - athletic foot wear) are a MUST. I hate to write this but it is OUR FAULT and the fault of NO VAULT. We need to clean up our act. The act cannot be expected to come in wearing bullet proof vests.

Excuse me while I get down from this soap box but there could be a bomb under it.

be well all
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Well thank stinks. I know Im gonna hear it for saying this, but here it goes. Walking around anywhere with with $500 cash in pocketbook is not a great idea. No it shouldnt happen but it does. We did take some advise on this forum and for the 1st time we bought a vacation vault that we will use at the beach when walking or swimming. Maybe now even use it in our trunk if we leave something behind. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope they find the criminals.
    Sean and Susan
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Charles,
    You are not the first to mention my comments about crime don't hold water. I did'nt want to hurt anyones's feelings about saying to be more more careful and locking things up. We will be back to Aruba next week because we love Aruba, the people and we do feel safe. I think Im better at giving drinking, eating and fishing advise.
    Thanks
    Sean and Susan

Aruba since 1979
    i do not want folks to feel that they cannot say what they feel.........if things are said nicely and there is respect all around then no feelings get hurt!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast