Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cruise FROM and back to Aruba

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Question Cruise FROM and back to Aruba

A cruise question from a complete cruise virgin:

1. Is it possible to take a cruise FROM Aruba?

2. and if so, can you get it round trip to go back to Aruba?

3. Which cruise line/ship is considered the most luxurious one of the ones that cruise in the Caribbean?

Thanks

Carsten

Aruba since 1979
    the only cruise ship that calls Aruba its "homeport" is the scientologist's Freewinds.

plenty of luxury caribbean cruise ships out there
    go to cruisecritic.com and check out the ships and reviews.

andrea

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>> "most luxurious one"
    ---- R.C. and Princess are the big ones. They all make stops in Aruba but none make Aruba their home port. Home ports are usually in P.R. and Fla.
    During the winter there is usually a couple of ships in Aruba from each of those cruise lines every week. During the summer most cruise lines stop calling down there because of the bad weather in the Caribbean during late summer and fall. They head north to do Alaska, Bermuda, Europe, and Canada cruises.
    http://www.visitaruba.com/travel/toa.../#schedule2008
    Go to that site to see who calls in Aruba and when.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 05-18-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Thanks for the info, but am specifically looking to go FROM and return to Aruba.

If I am to survive a cruise at my age, I think I need a good dose of Aruba both before and after .

So still hoping that someone knows of any.

Isn't there some that have a "hop on, hop off" system, where they are going on a constant round trip. I.e. they might have Miami as home port, but go on a constant ie. 15 day circle to the same islands so that you can choose any of the islands (any=Aruba ), to board and return to, if there is available space.

Still hoping.....

Carsten

Carsten, some used to allow boarding and disemarking at different ports, but the majority of ships calling on Aruba are home ported in the US. Security restrictions apply to cruising as it does to flying. Long gone are the days of onboard bon voyage parties and lavish send offs. As stated, the only ships home ported in Aruba are Freewinds and Ocean Dream http://www.aruba.com/forum/f32/ocean-dream-cruise-ship-38813/

Imo, neither fit in the luxurious range.

In the winter, Carnival has a ship which sails from Barbados. Royal Caribbean has a ship which departs from Panama as well as another which I believe departs from the Dominican Republic. Princess has ships departing from Montego Bay and Barbados. Most mass market U.S. cruise lines have ships departing from San Juan.

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>> "If I am to survive a cruise at my age"
    ------ Do not understand what you mean by that but I'm in my 70's and taking a cruise is usually a great R&R experience. Looking to do another late this year or first of 2010 out of Fla. on one of the big R.C. or Princess ships. Both have some 9 or 10 day cruises to the Southern islands. Having breakfast on the balcony every morning is great.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 05-19-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzerjoy View Post
    If I am to survive a cruise at my age, I think I need a good dose of Aruba both before and after .Carsten
    LOL Tom, my then 95 year old grandmother cruised on Cunard at the end of last year, one of many for her. FWIW, my parents have just returned from the Ruby Princess and said it was one of the best ships they have sailed, above and beyond the Queen Mary 2.

A few years back we decided to take the Carnival Cruise (Destiny) as it allowed passengers to embark and disembark in Aruba. The cruise originated in Barbados. We took this cruise only because we could start/stop in Aruba. We were "advised" that this may not be the cruise line for us (in our 40's) but felt that since we were with our teenagers it would be ok. Well, it wasn't! Anyway, that is another story....

So back to the original question, this was the only cruiseline that USED to do this but not anymore. If you want to go on a cruise, my recommendation would be pick the cruise line that you like and go to the point of embarkment.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thumbs up

>>> "Ruby Princess"
    ---- Think that is one of the ones I'm looking at leaving from Fla.

Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply's.

At least I got an excuse to skip going on a cruise and spend more time on Aruba instead .

Tom: I meant it the other way around, that I might be too young (hehe long time since I said those words), to spend a lot of time on a cruise ship.
    Normally like a more active vacation = Aruba watersport.

Carsten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast