Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
    Aruba since 1979

Cruise tourism way UP!

http://themorningnewsaruba.com/local...-whopping-144/
    Excellent figures of the increase of ship passengers and crew visiting Aruba from May 1 - Sept 30.

Many folks, start out visiting Aruba by cruise ship and then come back for a land based stay.

ORANJESTAD — Minister of Tourism, Otmar Oduber, is extremely pleased with the results of our cruise industry for the months of May to September. These months are generally regarded as “off-season.” With this year’s results we hardly speak of an “off-season.”
    From May to September 2013, Cruise Tourism increased by 144,8%. This is an increase of 69,147 passengers. In 2012 there were 47,765 passengers and in 2013 116,912 passengers.
    The Minister had as a goal to see an increase in passengers during the “off-season” to help increase economic activity during this period. This goal was certainly achieved.
    According the the mandatary: “Thanks to all the hard work and efforts by The Ministry of Tourism, ATA and APA and to the changes which took place, we were able to convince the cruise lines to visit our island during the off-season.”
    With an economic impact of an average of $120 per day per person (study done by the University of Aruba), there is a substantial growth in economic income especially for the months of May to September. This was very important and extremely positive.
    Along with the increase in the amount of calls, there was also an increase in the number of crew members. Crew numbered 17,141 to 45,667. This is an increase of 166%. It has been noted that crew members also spend when visiting an island. Hence, the economical impact was substantial.

Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-12-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: mea culpa. i cannot get photo to thumbnail size

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Wow! Those are a lot of passengers! Those cruise ships look very impressive and have something adventurous to them.

Here is the photo as a thumbnail, hope that helps.

Cruise tourism way UP!-cru-560x350.jpg

Bigger ships = more passengers. Great for the Aruba economy. Not so much those on land vacations.

I wish there were more beaches with facilities- rest rooms, changing facilities, showers, food & beverage-- geared specifically towards cruise guests such as Nachi Cocom Beach Club in Cozumel.

"Boat people" invasions are a pretty big letdown when you are paying $100's/night for a hotel room and the cruise passengers come in and use the same facilities at your resort for $10 a person. The only way I know to avoid them is by staying at an all inclusive only resort.

Aruba since 1979
    depalm island and nikky beach play host to a lot of cruise passengers.
    they both have showers and restrooms.
    how about arashi?

thank you ck

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    My pleasure, Andrea.

I emailed Nikky Beach, inquiring about prices, amenities and facilities.

"Chair and the umbrella for $12.00 after that you can use all our facilities--
    • pool
    • bar
    • restaurant
    • showers
    • bathrooms

and of course we have a free wifi."

As far as I am aware this is the only spot which includes use of their swimming pool with the price of admission.

According to their website they also provide complimentary transportation to the airport. It is a great option if you have a late flight. Check out of your hotel, spend the day there at the beach, shower, change and head home. What could be better?

Aruba since 1979
    and to top it off...the owners are lovely people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I emailed Nikky Beach, inquiring about prices, amenities and facilities.
    "Chair and the umbrella for $12.00 after that you can use all our facilities--
    • pool
    • bar
    • restaurant
    • showers
    • bathrooms

and of course we have a free wifi."

As far as I am aware this is the only spot which includes use of their swimming pool with the price of admission.

According to their website they also provide complimentary transportation to the airport. It is a great option if you have a late flight. Check out of your hotel, spend the day there at the beach, shower, change and head home. What could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and to top it off...the owners are lovely people!
    Is Jorge an owner or manager? He replied to my email this a.m. in the blink of an eye.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    The last time I was at Arashi was last Feb. At that time, there were lounge chairs for rent. The palapas went very quickly. We let some cruisers share our palapa with us. There weren't any port o potties there on this last trip, but I did see some there the year before. I have never seen any showers. Someone reported on a cruise forum that there are now chairs for rent at Boca Catalina. We will probably give that a try on our next visit.