Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cycling in Aruba

Cycling in Aruba

Full disclosure: I used to be an avid cyclist in Toronto... until I was hit by a car making a right turn (she was on a mobile phone at the time) in one of the safest bike lanes in the city. There's no winning that game of chicken.

We've noticed an exponential increase in the number of cyclists on the island in the last few trips but we're dismayed at how poorly behaved the cyclists are - triple and tandem blocking lanes, no lights on the bikes, no helmets (including kids), no signalling etc.

Yes, I believe cyclists have a right to the road - but not to be road hogs.

And, let's face it, the drivers in Aruba, whether local or tourist, tend to be a little nonchalant at times (and that's putting it kindly).

The roads are not designed to accommodate cyclists in Noord (other than the dedicated lane along the west shore); people need to use common sense or there's going to be a lot of tragedy in the next few years.

I won't get into the sad sight of middle-aged people in spandex outfits trying to look like Italian Olympians.

Be careful and aware!

Aruba since 1979
    last time we were in aruba we almost picked off a couple of these.
    we did not see them til we were almost on top of them.
    Attachment 6303

bicyclists need to be much more careful and very aware of their surroundings and traffic.
    operators of motor vehicles need to be more observant and cautious.

Yes... we all need to share the road and not be stupid about it.

Frankly, most of the roads in Aruba are just gunning to flatten bike tires so I'm still not sure what the draw is. Oh well... I do hope the Aruban government is seeing the trend and looking at infrastructure to make it safer. We noticed a lot of dedicated bike lanes in the south island the last time we were down there. Given that it's one of the fastest growing retirement sports, I hope it translates into road work in Noord.

The Challenge Aruba triathlon takes place, I believe, on the 22nd. I wonder if cyclists are there conditioning themselves for the race.

Well I don't know about Italian Olympians, maybe Italian Sausages.
    Sean and Susan

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Well I don't know about Italian Olympians, maybe Italian Sausages.
    Sean and Susan
    Ha! Ha!

I pursued Road biking as well, but I've witnessed too many catastrophic accidents with auto's and just about quit altogether. I'll ride in the neighborhood once a week now, but that's it.

My first two trips to the island I actually brought bicycles with me (fixed gear road and a mtn bike, resp). But that was in the 90's when you could actually check bikes on aircraft without fees (most times). Surprisingly, there were about 1/3 as many cars in Aruba 20 yrs ago. I rode with the local club on the road in the late afternoons, and the owner of TriBikeAruba gave me one of his mtn bikes for two races (which I didnt do to well in - flats, getting lost, etc). I recall cycling in Aruba was quite fun, and I've been planning on doing again, strictly off road, but priorities bump it off the list (swimming over the reefs) then time runs out placing the idea as an opportunity for the following year.

Stephen, here is a safe and rewarding way to cycle on the island: https://rockthebike.com/fender-blender-bike-blenders/.

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Here's the only way I "cycle" in Aruba.
    Cycling in Aruba-trikes-aruba.jpg

I use to cycle often going on frequent 40-50 mile rides BUT I too had one to many close calls with cars not paying attention and I have not ridden much at all in the past 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast