Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cycling in Aruba

There is also an increase in bike rental companies which should (I hope) also increase the need for bike lanes and driver awareness.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Yes, the bike rental racks are popping all around. It would have been nice to see the bike lanes first or the rental racks placed where there are bike lanes. Not that it means anything, because we were headed along Eagle Beach this morning where there is a bike path, when a V-plated keep goes blowing past us just after the crosswalk in front of Blue. He must have been going 90 kmph and then turns into the parking lot for the Riu Antilles. Senseless!
    TRIP 15 Nov-Dec 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

As a local I personally do not understand why you would risk yourself or your family to ride a bicycle on the island. Unless you go mountain biking on the north shore(really cool actually).

The roads on the island are not designed for bicycle traffic. The drivers are also not used to having them in the traffic. Cyclists are regularly in the news for being in accidents and complain that people dont "respect" them. But its their own fault in my opinion. They disregard completely the motor vehicles and think they have right of way. When its the opposite. They are the ones that need to get out of the way. They are also not allowed to bike side by side but must be one behind the other. They are putting the traffic at risk by cycling on the road when there is no dedicated lane for them(like there are in the netherlands).

Note that when I say "they" I am generalizing off course. Some of them do respect the laws of the road!
    Last edited by Arawak; 10-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    I agree Arawak!
    I think the roads are not bicycle friendly and as for the vehicle drivers; I think that there are many tourists (me included) that are driving sometimes in unfamiliar areas and adding bikes into the mix makes it difficult for the motor vehicle drivers and dangerous for the cyclists.

We almost picked off a few cyclists on the winding road at the California lighthouse. We were heading down the hill away from the lighthouse and 8 or 10 cyclists passed us and were riding 2 abreast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    As a local I personally do not understand why you would risk yourself or your family to ride a bicycle on the island. Unless you go mountain biking on the north shore(really cool actually).

The roads on the island are not designed for bicycle traffic. The drivers are also not used to having them in the traffic. Cyclists are regularly in the news for being in accidents and complain that people dont "respect" them. But its their own fault in my opinion. They disregard completely the motor vehicles and think they have right of way. When its the opposite. They are the ones that need to get out of the way. They are also not allowed to bike side by side but must be one behind the other. They are putting the traffic at risk by cycling on the road when there is no dedicated lane for them(like there are in the netherlands).

Note that when I say "they" I am generalizing off course. Some of them do respect the laws of the road!

I have to agree with you. The roads are not wide enough for 2 cars and a bike...never mind 2 riding side by side. I hate when I see that at home much less in Aruba where people are looking at everything but the road at points for one reason or another. I would not ride in Aruba unless it was on a trail. Heck, I won't ride at home anymore unless its on a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12