Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: debit cards

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Angry

>>> "Bad idea?"
    ----- Yes! Having spent many many years going to Aruba and reading many Posts on the different Aruban BB's credit/debit card #'s do get used again after you use a card.
    >>> "Is this a big problem?"
    ----- Its not a big problem but you do see Posts about charges on cards not their's. Since card was not used you PROTEST the charge and it is removed.
    But on DEBIT the $$$$ come right out of your checking. How many days does your bank take to return your $$$$.
    Would say its safe to use DEBT at resort front desk and at a bank ATM. At restaurants I always use American Express Travel Checks.
    >>> "Far to many issues out there...."
    ----- Even in the States a $1,200.00 charge was placed on my wife's charge card from a place like 20 miles from where she was on a trip out West. Since card not used we called on the phone and charge was removed and new card issued. The credit/debit people can tell when a # is enterred into charge machine and card not used.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 03-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFrederick View Post
    But on DEBIT the $$$$ come right out of your checking. How many days does your bank take to return your $$$$.
    http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/fitness/archive/2001/ff20010808.htm
    "Debit cards. The rules are similar for debit cards, but there are a few restrictions. For example, your liability under federal law is limited to $50, but only if you notify the issuer within two business days of discovering the card's loss or theft. [this would probably be easy if you travel and access the internet daily to check your account balances.] Your liability could jump to $500 if you put it off. And even this cap is lifted if you wait more than 60 calendar days from the time your bank statement is mailed."

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    OK, guess I'll be using the credit card! thanks for all the good advice!
    OMG I'll be there in 3 days! Whoopee!!!

As a police officer, I have taken way too many reports from pepole who have had their debit card/banking info/identity compromised. One of the common factors is the use of a debit card. Most, if not all, of the victims have used a debit card. One of the tricks thieves are using is a skimmer. It is a portable device that generally attaches to an ATM or debit machine and will "copy" the info from the magnetic strip on your card. They can later de-tach the device with all the copied info and upload it. The card doesn't even have to be out of your sight. I had one guy recently go into an ATM at a shopping center who had his card skimmed. There was enough info on his card that the thieves were able to create a fake ID of him and go around to his local bank branch and withdraw over $20,000 from his checking account. So if you use your debit card make sure the ATM machine hasn't been tampered with and don't use it if something looks out of place. A few more pieces of info.
    1. if you see a funny charge on your account report to both your local police AND your financial institution. More and more companies are requiring police reports before they'll take any action. Also be cognizant that there may be something bigger than just that $40.00 charge you didn't make with your card. Your identity may have been compromised also.
    2. keep checking your credit reports to see if any new accounts or cards have been opened in your name.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mpc111 View Post
    1. if you see a funny charge on your account report to both your local police AND your financial institution. More and more companies are requiring police reports before they'll take any action. Also be cognizant that there may be something bigger than just that $40.00 charge you didn't make with your card. Your identity may have been compromised also.
    Thank you. All helpful information.
    Question Is the requirement of police reports for the benefit of both parties, the reason why it takes so long for the bank to credit the funds back into the bank account

My husband and I were on vacation and someone broke in our house. That was before debit cards--but the ONLY thing the person took were our blank checks! We had a checking account that our savings account would cover any overdrafts, which we had never had to use. Well--yes you guessed it, by the time we got back everything was out of our checking and savings! They used the card everywhere close to where we lived. It was around Thanksgiving/Christmas, so they had a wonderful Christmas. They did catch the guy and he went to jail BUT it took us forever to get all that cleared up. Even when we tried to use a check it was ALWAYS checked and sometimes turned down. We did get ALL the money back from the bank, but UNTIL we moved out of state we always had a problem writing a check at stores. We always had to carry cash.
    I know that isn't the same as a debit card, but it can also happen with checks.
    Pat

Lisa good question that I honestly don't know the answer to. IMO the police report for the individual is the best recourse a person has because if their banking and identity have been compromised you'll be dealing with multiple credit reporting bureaus, banks, law enforcement agencies etc. The PD report may cut down on some of the red tape that I see people encounting. The report for the bank IMO is just a way to track criminal activity. Remember if you go to a bank and inform them about a "funny" charge they'll only see it as the cost of doing business. If you go to them with a pd report they'll see it as a crime because it has been established by law enforcement as such. I firmly believe that only with a pd report will they look at your account with greater scrutiny for further criminal activity.

The reason that the banks want the person to make a police report is more for a proof. If the person goes to the police and files a report that their card was fraudulently used, and it is found that they lied, they will be then held liable also with the police for filing a false police report along with a fraud charge with the bank.

A police report will only say that the person is "saying" that their account is used fraudulently. The police have no way to actually know if it was fraud or not, nor will a police department actually investigate it for the most part.

The only way that I have actually investigated it, is if the bank will not reverse the charges and then resident/victim is actually out of money. Most banks do not even fully cooperate with the police with investigations. So if the bank is willing to reverse the charges then THEY become the "civil" victim.

If it is a TRUE identity theft then we will investigate. But getting your CC used by someone else, is technically not identity theft, it is fraud.

Sorry for also hi-jacking!
    Decided to take down my timer!

"Most banks do not even fully cooperate with the police with investigations. "
    I had to laugh when I saw that....they absolutely won't. Bigger the bank, harder to get any cooperation. Well said sgr.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    [QUOTE=mpc111;169024]As a police officer, I have taken way too many reports from pepole who have had their debit card/banking info/identity compromised. One of the common factors is the use of a debit card. Most, if not all, of the victims have used a debit card. One of the tricks thieves are using is a skimmer. It is a portable device that generally attaches to an ATM or debit machine and will "copy" the info from the magnetic strip on your card. They can later de-tach the device with all the copied info and upload it. The card doesn't even have to be out of your sight. I had one guy recently go into an ATM at a shopping center who had his card skimmed. There was enough info on his card that the thieves were able to create a fake ID of him and go around to his local bank branch and withdraw over $20,000 from his checking account. So if you use your debit card make sure the ATM machine hasn't been tampered with and don't use it if something looks out of place.[/QUOTE]

Great advice, thank you! This information is very scary!
    I had decided to NOT use my debit card for any purchases while on vacation, and just getting cash as needed from an ATM. Now I wonder if that's a bad idea. How do you tell if an ATM has been tampered with?
    (I'll have the laptop so can check my bank account.)
    Last edited by Windy; 03-14-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast