Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By aquaman
  • 2 Post By Pegmeister
  • 3 Post By arubabob
  • 3 Post By GETA62
  • 1 Post By WaltVB

Thread: A different perspective

A different perspective

This week we have a small family staying at one of our Villas. It is a young couple and their kiddies plus his mother. She is from a rural area in the Ukraine. It has been interesting dealing with them. They are really nice people. There is a lot to be learned from folks like this. The husband emigrated to Canada and started a very successful roofing company. They specialize in copper roofs and cupolas. He decided that since he could afford vacations he would take his mother. Well, we had problems from the beginning. She needed a visa and they found this out only 5 days before departure. I called the Consulate of the Netherlands in Toronto. Kudos to them. The visa was processed through Washington D.C. In a day

After arriving in Aruba very late in the evening they crashed and went to. Superfood the next morning. It almost broke my heart. The mother walked in and went into shock and started crying. She could not understand all the food and products for sale there.

At at my vacation villa she is so occupied and making sure it is scrubbed and clean.

This has taught me a lot. Politically we hear so much about how Russians and Ukrainians are such horrible people.

I can tell tell you that after this experience, and having previously rented to several other Russian families that everything you may read is not always that accurate. Sure, there are bad apples as everywhere.

Hosting this fanily has has been such a pleasure

j

John, you've had a unique opportunity to meet and get to know these people. It's humbling to read. I feel we could all be a little more open.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    At at my vacation villa she is so occupied and making sure it is scrubbed and clean.

This has taught me a lot. Politically we hear so much about how Russians and Ukrainians are such horrible people.

I can tell tell you that after this experience, and having previously rented to several other Russian families that everything you may read is not always that accurate. Sure, there are bad apples as everywhere.

Hosting this fanily has has been such a pleasure

j
    Governments can be bad but the people, in general, are not. People are friendly, loving and tolerant in most cases. That is human nature at its best. We have a say in our government, most people in the world do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    John, you've had a unique opportunity to meet and get to know these people. It's humbling to read. I feel we could all be a little more open.
    Thank you John for a good article. Totally agreed with Pegmeister. We all have one sided opinion/vision based on the stereotypes and media propaganda. The Cold War Era is over long time ago, but still most of the people having stereotypes.

Yes, we have great similar experience with people from former Russian republics. Most of them emigrated to the West with no or very little money, to start a new life and live an American Dream.
    They did not inherit real estate from parents or grandparents, they did not have family money. Only hard work and dedication to the family welfare are driving them to success.

Just a few examples:

Most of the world and many of us, who vacationing in Aruba are using Whatsapp as source of communication.
    The inventor of WhatsApp is Jan Koum. He was born in Ukraine and emigrated to USA with his mother, when he was 16.
    At first Koum's mother worked as a babysitter, while he himself worked as a cleaner at a grocery. By the age of 18 he became interested in programming. He enrolled at San Jose State University and simultaneously worked at Ernst & Young as a security tester. Then he was invited to the Yahoo as engineer and so on,...

All world can't live without Google. we are looking for everything on Google ( even there is a phrase created - googled it.

One of the inventors is Sergey Brin.
    He immigrated to the United States with his family from the Soviet Union at the age of 6. He earned his bachelor's degree at the University of Maryland, following in his father's and grandfather's footsteps by studying mathematics, as well as computer science. After graduation, he moved to Stanford University to acquire a PhD in computer science. and so on....

A different perspective-ice-yacht.jpg

This is the yacht "ICE" in front of Ritz Carlton in Aruba. And belong to Suleyman Kerimov

After his university graduation in 1989, Kerimov took a job as an economist at the electrical plant . Kerimov was paid 150 roubles (approximately $250 dollars) a month and he and his wife lived in a worker’s hostel attached to the plant, where they shared one room of a two-room flat.
    And so on.... Based by Forbes, his wealth is $6.3 Billion.
    He is Philanthropist. Donating millions and millions for many charities. He donated €1 million to Pinocchio — a charity who work with children suffering from burns.

Like John said, there are bad apple everywhere, but we have to be more open and did not judge people, based on the media coverage and stereotypes.

I agree. I spend time in the Middle East and have met some of the nicest, friendliest, hardest working people ever. Afghanis, Pakis, Kuwaitis, Iraqis, etc., all staring and running their own businesses from damn near nothing. All they ask for is a little understanding and respect of their culture and religion. They aren't all terrorists as the national media would have you believe.

Great story and reminder. I never assume that people from other countries are bad even if I dislike their government. I would LOVE to visit Russia but with one of my children being LGBT I just cannot take the chance, it is sad because I would love to experience their culture, hopefully one day their government will catch up.
    Jen
    Owner 2 weeks Marriott Surf ClubNov 02, Jul 06, Jul 08, Oct 09, back in Aug 11
    Mom to DS Dec 06 and DD Dec 08