Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool Interested also......

I am lurking this topic also. And interested in hearing if anyone has any more information. At this point I am thinking "worst case" we have to apply for this extension in Aruba at least a week before our 30 days are up according to the form on-line. Who knows though, I can barely understand the instructions on my new humidifier that alone government websites.

Quote Originally Posted by purestone2004 View Post
    I am lurking this topic also. And interested in hearing if anyone has any more information. At this point I am thinking "worst case" we have to apply for this extension in Aruba at least a week before our 30 days are up according to the form on-line. Who knows though, I can barely understand the instructions on my new humidifier that alone government websites.
    So far I have found out that get there early before it opens at 2:30 and bring a lot of patience.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Gary, Stella ( I believe you met her earlier this year) has been dealing with Dimas on something slightly different. She was busy when we called her earlier, but is going to get back to us this afternoon.

Will post after we talk to her.

Tom
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

I just tried to post a long reply but it seems to have got lost. I will try to piece it together again.
    Stella

Gary:
    I have just extended my current stay from 21 days for a further 26 days. (no comments please about the hardship!)
    Anyhow, I had heard that immigration had a new computer system and that they were giving some people a hard time about the length of their stay so I decided that I would apply to DIMAS for the extension.
    I downloaded an English version of the DIMAS "Application form for extension of tourist stay" and completed it. You need copies of certain documents. Make sure you have photocopies. I didn't and got my fingers rapped.
    I went to the DIMAS office at 2 o'clock and waited until 3:45. They actually forgot about me and they didn't seem to have a system. I eventually had my interview and she said they would let me know in 3-5 days. They called yesterday and said they had granted me the extension.

I have tried emailing DIMAS is the past and got no reply. However, I did call them and they answered. Gary, use Skype to call them as it costs very little.

I seem to remember that it was the airline which gave you trouble last year. Make sure you have a copy of the requiremnts for entry into Aruba as a tourist. I believe the airline only read the first paragraph.

Good luck, let me know if you need more info,
    Stella

We saw that the form was to extend your vacation past the date you initially thought you would stay in Aruba. I wonder about when you enter with a return ticket for more than 30 days away? Unfortunately I think often one doesn't really know what will happen on any given day for sure until they get there.

Purestone:
    That is true which is why I completed the form. However, I have come in for more than 30 days with no problem but I believe they are monitoring a bit more closely.
    The concensus here seems to be that the new government is going to change the rules for the better but I'm not going to hold my breathe. As you say, who knows what is going to happen tomorrow.
    Stella

Stella: Thanks for your posts. We will have to talk soon via Skype.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Yeah- phone calls and emails to the gov't here - not very good at all.
    This is not like the US at all - most stuff is done in person here.
    I had PM'ed privately and will now share with the group - that
    you get to the DIMAS office at 2:30pm and let the guard know you
    are there and what you are there for. He is the one who decides
    who gets in next. Very important little thing to know.

The "new system" does count the total days you spend in Aruba.
    I believe this has to do more with if you spend more than the
    allotted days in Aruba - you have to file for residency more than
    how long you are staying for your vacation. I have no idea what
    they are doing for "longer stays for vacation" and trying to get
    that info now.

I would recommend that if anyone stays in Aruba for more than
    30 days to check with their medical insurance company and
    see how long outside of your country they will cover you for.
    I know that some US insurance companies stop coverage if you
    are out of the country for more than so many month(s).
    It's also good to have some kind of certificate of health insurance -
    but if something medical does happen to you - I believe you
    have to pay them out of your pocket (they might take dutch insurance).
    It is the hospital's policy that they get your credit card before
    services are rendered unless it's something life threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    I believe you have to pay them out of your pocket (they might take dutch insurance). It is the hospital's policy that they get your credit card before services are rendered unless it's something life threatening.
    I can vouch for that. I had to, unfortunately, use the hospital in 2007 (food poisoning) and knew that I needed to bring my CC with me. They charge your card immediately for the services. When I returned home, I submitted all of the paperwork the hospital gave me along with CC receipts and I was reimbursed by my health insurance co.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast