Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gary & Nancy,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and all other Canadians on the board this weekend. Enjoy your turkey dinner.
    Stella

mac

Confused

We are staying for 33 days in Jan-Feb. I don't even know what Dimas is. I tried the web site and can't read Dutch. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Red face Let me see if I have this.......

Thanks for happy thanksgiving note, I am looking forward to the great turkey meal that my husband makes.

So just to kinda maybe sorta by chance on my interpretation of the "rules" we enter Aruba probably as per normal stating we are staying in our case 49 days then maybe the best bet is too at some point before our 30 days are up we go to DIMAS, be nice to the security guard, have our proof of house ownership, copy of medical insurance and copy of passport, fill out the form and wait to ask right? It sounds to me like right now no one really knows but like the previous poster I am a better safe than sorry type. I would much rather spend some time at a government office and not need to than have an issue when we got to leave Aruba.

I guess that the US government is easier to deal with than the Canadian as this sounds like the typical Canadian government system.

Karen

I personally want to thank 'lizzardo' for all the information she is supplying.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

AN Update.....

I have been receiveing some very good replies and information.

Some people are going to DIMAS to sort out some of their situations and will let me know of further developements. From these people IT does sound if you will have to apply for an extension past 30 days.

Others have sent me websites and information that Canadians and Americans CAN stay up to 90 days with out foling with DIMAS.

Also some have said that some Airlines will ask you to have a return flight within the 30 day limit. (This happened to us last year with United)

I will post more if and when I get more information.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

I will be returning to the Island on December 12 and based on the following paragraph (see below)on the DIMAS document, I will be putting down the number of days I intend staying (which will be more than 30 days). So if the immigration grants me those day, I will not go to DIMAS to ask permission.
    I keep a spread sheet with the days I have been here both on a 12 month running total and a calendar year total to ensure that either count does not exceed 180 days. I will let you know what happens.
    Stella

If a tourist wants to stay longer then the number of days granted by the immigration officer on the ED-card upon
    admission, he or she can apply at the office of Dimas for an extension for up to 180 days if applicable. The form
    for tourist stay extension is available at the office of the DIMAS

A spreadsheet! you must be either an engineer (like my husband) or military (like my father-in-law )............

I have come to the same conclusion regarding this topic with help from the forum and some other Aruban friends.

Hi Mac

I think that they will approve it at customs - over by 3 days I don't think
    is enough to have to file anything. That I wouldn't sweat over.

Just back from Dimas -

They said for the 33 day stay - no need to file.

But for longer stays - you need to file.

Dimas

From Amigoe.com/english

Dimas makes traveling easier
    11 Dec, 2009, 11:48 (GMT -04:00)
    http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_66337.php
    ORANJESTAD — Persons with a residence permit or those having applied for a residence permit may request a so-called re-entry declaration through immigration organization Dimas. This document enables travelers to prove at the border that they have received permission from the relevant institutes to leave the land and return. The declaration has been drawn up in four languages: Dutch, Papiamento, Spanish and English. “The document is relevant for persons who will be traveling within short and have to be able to prove at the border post that they are allowed to re-enter the land” according to the immigration organization.
    There are certain restrictions for those who have applied for a residence permit. In addition, people who have a temporary provision from court so that they may stay on the island legally, may qualify for a re-entry declaration under certain conditions.
    More information can be obtained from Dimas.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 12-12-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added article url
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast