Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dimas in today's "the Morning News" extended stay announcement

Dimas in today's "the Morning News" extended stay announcement

ATTENTION EVERYONE

Get a copy of today's "The Morning News" ( March 24,2014) and read the article about the changes being made as of April 1st to the tourist stay policy here in Aruba. . . It is not a good thing. It appears that the government is trying to keep money spending tourist off the island. They (the government) are promoting tourism on one hand and then turn around and stop you from staying on the island by making you jump through hoops to get and extension (maybe) to stay longer. This new policy only let's you stay for 30 days without going to DIMAS to get an extension. . . . Time for everyone to write to Mike Emin on his facebook page and voice your concerns. . . . This new policy will hurt the island in the long run. . . .

Tom and Stanly (the Aruba Guys) and we are not happy campers. . . .

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot access "the morning news"

per the DIMAS website as this pdf link shows…………. DURATION OF STAY
    http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf

30 days has been the "norm" from what i remember.
    upon entry into aruba, when going through aruba DIMAS immigration clerk, when he/she sees that the visit is let's say 7 weeks, providing there is appropriate housing listed, the tourist's card is stamped and then tourist is waved through.

so the only real difference is that now, the tourist that is visiting for more than 30 days (but less than 180 days) must visit the DIMAS office and cannot breeze right through the DIMAS clerk at the airport?

from DIMAS site updated 2012

DURATION OF ADMISSION

The maximum period of time that a person can be admitted to Aruba as a tourist is 30 days. The total amount of days a person can stay in Aruba, as a tourist cannot exceed 180 days per year.
    Extension of stay upon entry
    Upon entry in Aruba, the following persons can apply for an extension of their stay for more than 30 days but not exceeding 180 days: nationals of the Kingdom of the Netherlands can request an extension of their stay for up to 180 consecutive days; nationals from the countries mentioned in list A and visa required persons who are exempt from the visa requirement, can request an extension of their stay for up to 180 consecutive days...

All tourists who apply for an extension of their stay beyond 30 days are required to have travel insurance (medical and liability) valid for the duration of the extended stay.

Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.

I looked at all three papers this morning (3/24) and I only saw it in "The Morning News". Like everything else down here, publication of not positive things is limited so no one can find it. I was surprised to see it in the paper this morning. . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

I am relieved that this post is not as "doom and gloom" as the title implies. Most of us can only dream of staying on the island for more than 30 days and if I was fortunate enough to a guest in another country for longer than a month, I certainly wouldn't mind complying with their government regulations.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 03-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    the title of this thread does speak DOOM and GLOOM
    i am going to change the title

I am surprised why no mention in http://themorningnewsaruba.com/ online edition.

Aruba since 1979
    http://themorningnewsaruba.com/2014/...olicy-changes/
    here is the online notification in the "morning news"
    ORANJESTAD — The government has recently introduced changes in their policy regarding tourism stay over on the island. The Department of DIMAS has recently published a bulletin informing the public of these changes.
    A tourist is anyone visiting Aruba to relax, do sport, for medical purposes, to visit family or friends, for religious reasons, or to do business.
    A tourist is not allowed to work while on Aruba as a tourist. Any tourist caught working while vacationing here, will be deported. And, the employer of such a tourist will be levied a fine for employing the tourist.
    The amount of days that a tourist may be given by the immigration to reside on the island is 30 consecutive days. In the majority of cases 30 days is more than sufficient.
    In a few cases the tourist may want more than 30 days. In such a case he will have to submit a
    special petition to DIMAS. This petition must be submitted before his time allotted by the Immigration has expired.

What does DIMAS require for an extension of a tourists stay (up to a maximum of 90 days from date of entry)?

• A petition form (available at www.dimasaruba.com)
    • Copy of passport valid for at least 3 months (of all pages with rubber stamp and visa)
    • Copy of valid airline ticket with departure date
    • Copy of travel insurance (valid for the required extension time)
    • Copy of ID card (both sides)
    • Proof of hotel/resort reservation or use of own property on Aruba

If the tourist is staying with family or friends, they will be held responsible for his guarantee and must sign for all expenses than may arise during his guest’s stay. That person must appear personally at DIMAS together with the tourist to submit additional information:

• A guarantee statement (available at www.dimasaruba.com) legalised at the Palace of Justice in Santa Cruz (DWJZ)
    • Copy of passport (valid for more than 3 months and only the page with the pass photo on) of the guarantor
    • If the guarantor is a licensee, a copy of his valid license ( must earn minimum wage) is required
    • Both the guarantor and the tourist must be present at the DIMAS offices when filing a petition for stay over extension.

DIMAS office hours are:
    Monday to Thursday from 7:30 to 11:00 and 1:00 to 3:30 pm.
    Fridays from 7:30 to 11:00 are General service hours and from 1:00 to 4:30pm.

As of April 1st it is no longer possible to extend a tourist’s stay beyond 90 days for a maximum of 180 days. There may be exceptions within the confines of the law. Persons of Dutch nationality and those who have property here may be granted an extension of up to 180 days consecutively.
    For more information, please consult the website www.dimasaruba.com or call during office hours, tel. +297-522-1500.

Thanks Andrea, I could not find it on-line. I do have a hard copy of it but if you are not here it does no good. . . . They must have put on-line this morning at some point. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

I've tried to make sense of this prior to this announcement and still think I'm missing something. It sounds to me like you're suppose to have a copy of a valid airline ticket showing the return date prior to submitting the application. What if the application for extension is denied? Are you suppose to book another return flight on short notice. I can only imagine what that will cost on top of the reservation change fee. It also sounds like say's that they're making it more difficult to extend beyond 90 days. Have they also extended the maximum stay of 14 days to 30? I've considered purchasing a condo on the island as a tourist, but these changes make me even more apprehensive. Sorry for the ignorance...just trying to get a handle on it.

Aruba since 1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast