Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Discover card

Discover card

We have a discover card with no foreign transaction fees. Anyone have experience in Aruba with the availibility of merchants who accept the card? Not sure if it's worth taking or making sure we have other options. Thanks Dolores

Aruba since 1979
    we have found that the Discover card is widely accepted.
    we used it @
    Tropic Car Rental
    Madame janette
    Renaissance Ocean Suites
    Ling grocery
    and i am sure other places as well.

none of our credit cards have a foreign transaction fee.
    we do like the cash back benefits of Discover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    We have a discover card with no foreign transaction fees. Anyone have experience in Aruba with the availibility of merchants who accept the card? Not sure if it's worth taking or making sure we have other options. Thanks Dolores

Good tip. I never thought of bringing our Discover card!
    Sean and Susan

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    We only use our Discover card, except for our car rental because of the included insurance with AMEX. Our Visa and AMEX charge a foreign transaction fee, Discover does not and we have yet to find a place that doesn't take it but I'm sure there are.

Capital One cards also do not charge an international fee.

BEWARE of using your DEBIT card. We always used it extensively. Last year, we got a charge of about $2,000 three weeks after we left. It was from a local hardware store for windows/doors or something similar. We obviously didn't notice until we saw the charge on our account. The problem is that with a credit card, when this happens, you dispute it and the charge remains in limbo while it's being disputed and researched. On a debit card, that amount is out of your account until such time as the dispute is resolved.

Fortunately we weren't in a situation where that affected our ability to pay our mortgage payment. The debit card is now used much more sparingly.

Aruba since 1979
    debit card article by Clark Howard
    check out above thread
    and
    there are a few threads out there about the warnings of using debit cards
    in the search bar, enter the words debit cards and those threads will be listed

sorry that you had a bad experience

QUOTE=dfranklin;288856]Capital One cards also do not charge an international fee.

BEWARE of using your DEBIT card. We always used it extensively. Last year, we got a charge of about $2,000 three weeks after we left. It was from a local hardware store for windows/doors or something similar. We obviously didn't notice until we saw the charge on our account. The problem is that with a credit card, when this happens, you dispute it and the charge remains in limbo while it's being disputed and researched. On a debit card, that amount is out of your account until such time as the dispute is resolved.

Fortunately we weren't in a situation where that affected our ability to pay our mortgage payment. The debit card is now used much more sparingly.[/QUOTE]

I don't ever use my debit card out of the country. In all my trips I have only used the bank machine twice, and I hated every second of it for many reasons. I use my main credit card for the security deposit and charge everything to my room onsite. When I leave my hotel I pay cash for everything else.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i don't even use my debit card here at home. Don't use credit cards on vacation unless its something i saw and didn't physically have the money on me and couldn't get back the next day. otherwise, I'd come back the next day with the cash.

Our credit union set out a notice instructing members HOW to use a debit card safely.

If you just scan you card and enter a PIN, you are not protected from fraud. Present and use the debit card (assuming it's a VISA debit card) as a credit card where you sign a receipt and do not enter a PIN. This second option directs the transaction through the VISA system and gives you credit card protections you do not get from a debit transaction.

Don't take my word for it, call your bank and ask them to be sure.