Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Discussion of US Customs/2 security checkpoints @ Aruba Airport

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug R. View Post
    You missed my point. What you are calling security I am calling immigration and customs. I was not questioning that. I was questioning the need for a second security checkpoint after US Customs where you remove shoes send it and your hand luggage through xray, etc.
    I see, got it.

I think as you go though the duty-free shops area and then arrive at the second security checkpoint on the US part, getting ready for an international flight, it's just another security measure for everyone's safety, passengers and personnel. (IMO, bad people like the shoe bomber or the one with a bomb in his underwear make it just hard on so many decent people).

Here is a nice map which shows all the airport areas and explains each step for US bound passengers as well as for Non-US bound passengers (which is much easier):

http://www.airportaruba.com/airport_...w==&catid=MQ==

Very interesting discussion for us non US citizens, but having an US stop over .

Aruba since 1979
    yes volker you will do the 2 security stops as well as US Customs too

Quote Originally Posted by Volker63 View Post
    Very interesting discussion for us non US citizens, but having an US stop over .

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Volker63 View Post
    Nothing to worry about as you have a ticket showing that you will return to Germany at a certain time (after your stay in the US). It's like there are two airports/two authorities (Aruba/USA) in one large building. They both have their security procedures which they have to follow through. Most of the time, it's quick and easy.

CK1
    A few years ago when I was still a "Permanent Resident" (Green Card holder), living in the USA for almost a decade, US immigration in Aruba gave me every time a hard time when I just went for a one-week vacation to Aruba on a round trip ticket.

This was hard for me to understand as I had my German passport, my US Permanent Resident Card, very law-abiding citizen (not even a traffic ticket). The US immigration officer in Aruba was still very unfriendly, almost rude, acted as he had just caught a criminal, asked me lots of questions like "why do you want to go to the USA?" - My answer: "I live there!". He then took my picture. And my fingerprints! All this, while there was a very long line of other tourists watching what was going on. I did not only feel stressed, I felt humiliated. But that's the rule. The immigration officer has the power to do this. I followed his demands and did what he asked me to do. To act up or be outraged would NOT be the way to go as it could lead to an arrest. I did not want to miss my plan and just wanted to go home.

In the meantime I became a US citizen and on my last visit to Aruba in 2010 it was a breeze, showing off my band-new US passport. No questions asked!

Aruba since 1979
    From US CUSTOMS website. in BOLD
    they want you with the luggage...so they can speak with you AND have the opportunity to search if the need arises.
    this cannot be done behind the airline counter.

What gives Customs and Border Protection (CBP) the authority to ask me personal questions and to examine my belongings?

To keep our borders secure, we must inspect everyone who arrives at a U.S. port of entry. We pledge to treat you courteously and professionally. We do not assume that you have done anything wrong - because very few travelers actually violate the law. As part of your inspection, you may be asked questions on:
    Your citizenship,
    The nature of your trip, and
    Anything you are bringing back to the United States that you did not have with you when you left.
    We may also examine your baggage, including electronic equipment, or your car, which we have the legal authority to do. If we are checking your baggage, you will need to place it on the exam station and open it. (After the exam is completed, you will be asked to repack and close the baggage.) If at any point you are unhappy with the way you are being treated, ask to speak to a CBP supervisor.
    The authority to delay and speak with travelers derives from the United States Code (section citations below) enables CBP to prevent the entry of persons who are inadmissible under the Immigration and Nationality Act, and to prevent the smuggling of merchandise, including narcotics and other contraband items, into the United States.
    Speaking with travelers and examining merchandise coming into or leaving the United States are some of the ways we look for illegal or prohibited items, and to determine whether or not someone is trying to enter the U.S. for unlawful or fraudulent purposes. Unless exempt by diplomatic status, all travelers entering the United States, including U.S. citizens, participate in routine Customs processing. At times, people make the mistake of thinking their civil rights are being violated by being asked questions about their trip, personal background and history, etc. That is not the case. Supreme Court decisions have upheld thedoctrine that CBP's search authority is unique and does not violate the fourth amendment's protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.
    However, with this authority, CBP expects all of its officers to conduct their duties in a professional manner, and treat each traveler respectfully.
    The exact legal citation for our search authority can be found in Title 19 of the United States Code, Sections 482, 1467, 1496, 1581 and 1582. All persons,baggage, and other merchandise arriving in or leaving the United States are subject to inspection and seach by CBP officers. Various laws (including 8 United States Code (U.S.C.) 1357, 19 U.S.C. 482, 1581, 1582) enforced by CBP authorize such searches. As part of the inspection process, CBP officers must verify the identity of persons, determine the admissibility of travelers, and look for possible terrorist weapons, controlled substances, and a variety of other prohibited items.
    For further information, please see CBP Search Authority under the Travel section of this Web site.
    If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

addendum at 7:49pm.........TSA routinely examines checked luggage and leave notices inside if yours happens to be examined.

Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    From US CUSTOMS website. in BOLD
    they want you with the luggage...so they can speak with you AND have the opportunity to search if the need arises.
    this cannot be done behind the airline counter.

snip...
    A few years ago (2008 or 2009), my suitcase had been opened twice: going and coming from Aruba, without me being present. A slip had been left inside my suitcase, informing me, that this had been done.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    A few years ago (2008 or 2009), my suitcase had been opened twice: going and coming from Aruba, without me being present. A slip had been left inside my suitcase, informing me, that this had been done.
    That wasn't customs that was the airline...Tsa

Aruba since 1979
    our checked bags have been opened and examined almost every flight over the last 7 or 8 yrs by the tsa.
    we too get the little note.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post

TSA can scan your bags behind the scene and if they open it, they have to leave a slip in there so you know that they had a look inside. I am leaving tomorrow and I am sure I will see plenty of them slips. My Daughter and I check in 5 big suitecases and at least 4 of them will have a slip in there when we get to Paradise!! That's just how it goes.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast