Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Disturbing Article In Today's Aruba Traveller Regarding Crime On Page #4

Disturbing Article In Today's Aruba Traveller Regarding Crime On Page #4

http://www.arubatraveller.com/papers...810/index.html

I hope that Aruba's Government can expedite control of the situation.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Interesting. They seem to be pointing directly at illegal immigration as the root cause... I wonder what data they have to back up that correlation?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    This is quite shocking. I hope the Aruban Government finds a solution to this situation soon.

This article also drew my attention on July 30th. page 3.

http://www.arubatraveller.com/papers...730/index.html
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    with the influx of tourists, legal and undocumented people, the island has seen crimes that it had been pretty much immune to before.
    the police, the gvmt is being proactive.

although aruba is still safe, it is best that folks out and about at night take the same precautions as they would anywhere else.

over the years the police presence has significantly multiplied........beach patrols, street patrols etc.

I still have my doubts about the police force when I see them riding their bicycles- 5 to a team- through downtown Oranjestad.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them ride in pairs? Instead of riding by 5 at a time, say every half hour, you could have 2 at a time every 15 minutes.

Also still puzzled as to the effectiveness of police patrolling the beaches via jet-ski? Would they really be able to see someone, say stealing something from out under a palapa, from where they are out on the water?

It is great that the police are visible, yet I wonder how effective it really is.

On a positive note, I find it admirable that the press is actually talking about how serious conditions have become.

Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-10-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    when we have stayed downtown, last 6 or 7 trips except for in May 2015, we have not seen the police on bikes in igroups of 5 at all, but have seen them mostly on bikes in singles and in pairs. (the road where the trolley goes down the middle and the main boulevard)
    there is always lots of police on bikes, on foot and in cars in the cruise port area when cruise ships are in.

we rent cars each and every trip and are off resort at least once or twice daily. while we are out we see more police cars/cruisers.

in the evening we see lots more police cars, on the lookout for drunk drivers ?

as for the jet skis, hahahaha someone said in a posting a few months ago that maybe trying to protect being mugged in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I still have my doubts about the police force when I see them riding their bicycles- 5 to a team- through downtown Oranjestad.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them ride in pairs? Instead of riding by 5 at a time, say every half hour, you could have 2 at a time every 15 minutes.

Also still puzzled as to the effectiveness of police patrolling the beaches via jet-ski? Would they really be able to see someone, say stealing something from out under a palapa, from where they are out on the water?

It is great that the police are visible, yet I wonder how effective it really is.

On a positive note, I find it admirable that the press is actually talking about how serious conditions have become.

Are the police also the coast guard in Aruba? The sea doos might be to catch people trying to do illegal entry from Venezuela or Curacao... we were wondering about that when we saw a few at Baby Beach.

As for the bike patrols of 5+, the police like the crowds to see that they're traveling in packs - it gets into the minds of criminals that there are a lot of cops on patrol and they might not know where every cop is if they disperse their pack. Tactical reinforcement. Five cops on bikes can cover a lot of Oranjestad when they break apart in a star formation to surround a perpetrator.

Aruba since 1979
    the aruba police may act as a type of coast guard.
    the police helicopter, manned by a police officer or 2 (and pilot) make routine passes over the coastal area numerous times daily.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Are the police also the coast guard in Aruba? The sea doos might be to catch people trying to do illegal entry from Venezuela or Curacao... we were wondering about that when we saw a few at Baby Beach.

As for the bike patrols of 5+, the police like the crowds to see that they're traveling in packs - it gets into the minds of criminals that there are a lot of cops on patrol and they might not know where every cop is if they disperse their pack. Tactical reinforcement. Five cops on bikes can cover a lot of Oranjestad when they break apart in a star formation to surround a perpetrator.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    There was actually an arrest made today. A lot of the news is at awe24.com, unfortunately, it's only available in Papiamento and not in English:

http://www.awe24.com/20150810/22512/...confisca_polis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast