Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which do you prefer, a new rental or older one?

Which do you prefer, a new rental or older one?

Upon our arrival last week, I was presented with a brand new white 4 dr rental car from National. It only had 18 kilometers and the plastic was still on the rear seats. At first, I refused it. But my boss, (wife) wanted it and thought I was nuts for not wanting it.

What at about You? In Aruba, I would rather have an older car with a few scratches so tha u can at least drive a little crazy on the rough side. Now I have to be extra careful and have no fun...

I felt the same as you. We rented a jeep from Budget and they gave us a brand new, shiny red jeep without a mark on it and not very many miles. My first thought was oh man, we have to be careful. I wouldn't have minded a few scratches, but it was nice to have all the bells and whistles of a brand new jeep with great a/c and a plug for our ipod for music.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

If the car is dependable and the A/C is working I'd prefer one that is a few years old and already has a few love marks. Between driving all around the island and the tight parking spots, throw in the wind, I'd just as soon have it that way.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    i would prefer an nice clean well broken in (hint a few scratches) and frigid air conditioning.

we were rear ended 5+ years ago and hans (tropic) brought us a brand new accent with less than 100 kilometers.
    we were very uncomfortable with it being brand new.

that same night with the brand new vehicle a bird committed suicide on the windshield.
    thank goodness, the windshield was fine...bird not so much

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Definitely an older vehicle which is already a little banged up. It puts me more at easy. I still take good care of it and usually, go carefully with the rental company guy over all the scratches and dents that they are well documented. In addition, I take pictures from all sides of the vehicle.

However, during my vacation in Germany this year, I got a very new Mercedes, an automatic, as they were out of gear sticks which I had originally ordered. Of course, I was extra careful with that vehicle. On the downside: it was sooo modern, that I did not know how to program the GPS which came with it! LOL Had to find someone who helped with it. And when I had to put gasoline in the vehicle, I needed help again as I didn't know how to open the cap to the tank! LOL It was almost comical!

Just give me whatever you have... I don't care for new vehicles, but sometimes they are the ones with the best A/C. As long as it gets me from A to B I'm fine with it

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I'll take the vehicle with the most dings.

Older cars are less of a target as well.

I've never experienced a brand new vehicle in Aruba....and I'm totally ok with that!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

New! A couple Novembers ago Hertz (at the airport) rented us a car with 12 kilometers on the odometer. We were very pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast