Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Andrea J.
  • 2 Post By WaltVB

Thread: Doing a "nice thing"

Aruba since 1979

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.. It is so nice to hear about people helping others especially the elderly in a nursing home and with dementia.
    As you know I am a nurse in one and so many of them are forgotten.

very nice story.thank you

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    What a nice story.
    made me stop and think about the elderly population in Aruba.
    funny that that never entered my mind, ever.
    we go on vacation and are so involved in our little vacation cocoon that nothing else matters.
    shame on me.
    thsnks for sharing!!!!

Great story. Does the heart good to read simething nice!!

Great way to start the day! Thanks Andrea!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Really nice to see those that so willingly serve to protect our country, helping those less fortunate in another country. Go Navy!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.. It is so nice to hear about people helping others especially the elderly in a nursing home and with dementia.
    As you know I am a nurse in one and so many of them are forgotten.
    It is sad that so many nursing home residents don't get many visitors. When my father had a stroke at 91, we had to put him in one. His mind was fine but he was paralyzed on one side and had trouble speaking. We would take our grandkids with us to visit him many times on weekends and the other residents would just flock to the kids. It was so sad that they were so lonely. I don't know if they don't have family or the families just don't care. A couple of the schools here have visiting programs that kids can volunteer for.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    It is sad that so many nursing home residents don't get many visitors. When my father had a stroke at 91, we had to put him in one. His mind was fine but he was paralyzed on one side and had trouble speaking. We would take our grandkids with us to visit him many times on weekends and the other residents would just flock to the kids. It was so sad that they were so lonely. I don't know if they don't have family or the families just don't care. A couple of the schools here have visiting programs that kids can volunteer for.

Many do have families, but are busy with their lives that they are just out of sight out of mind.
    At the moment my husband's former FIL 95 y/o (first wife's father... out lived all his kids) is in the one I work at..
    He is really staging in the dementia: misbehavior. In love with "women" and their body parts. Very very sad, where now they have a guy sit with him 24/7. However they just can't keep doing that... so we will have to find a place that can treat him. They have tried everything possible (and me working there they have gone extreme with keeping him) they also have to protect the other patient's and team members.
    Sad what the mind does to one when they have this horrible disease.
    All of my patient's have dementia and rarely do they get visits. I bring in snacks every time I work. Candy, cookies, donuts and etc. Make fresh 'real" coffee in the morning for those who want it. (bring it from home too) Donuts on Sunday mornings..
    Holidays those that do not have nobody at all will get something for all the special occ.
    Would not believe what "little things" makes somebody happy.