Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jacki

Thread: Drone down!!!

Drone down!!!

We did two outings on the Jolly Pirates. The first outing was without incident but the second the Drone didn't make it back!!

Event though dangerous, I launch and catch the drone by hand and to be quite honest with you its really the only way to do it on boats.
    While on our second outing I launched and was able to bring it back successfully three times. On the fourth flight, while I was bringing it in, which might I add, the process of catching/landing on a moving object is very tedious, is when it happened.
    When "landing" I have to pace the boat and as I am pacing continue to bring it ever so gently closer and closer until its close enough that I can snatch it out the air. As I was pacing the boat and when the drone was literally 2 - 3 feet from being able to grab it all I can figure is that the battery malfunctioned as it started automatically descending into the water and would not respond to my input. In case you are wondering... If the drone ever detects an abnormality in the battery power it forces the craft into an "auto-descend mode" which means I have no manual input and it just descends until it "lands" (or falls out the sky). As it started to descend I tried to give it enough "gas" to make it ascend but it completely ignored this command and kept inching down towards the water until.... SPLASH.
    We were moving at the time it happened and it did not enter my mind to try to jump in and grab it before it went to the bottom so Mr. Jerone (the name for our drone) now lives in Aruba at the bottom of the ocean. No worries though... Tina (named after the Lama on Napoleon Dynamite) is his replacement and is already here at the house, just have to put her together!! :-)
    Luckily we brought our second drone so we kept capturing content the whole time we were there and got some unbelievable stuff!

Despite the loss (since this was on our second outing) we were still able to make a video for the Jolly Pirates and you can check it out here.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Wow, the video is fantastic. Do you do this for a living, or is this just a hobby?

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Sorry for your loss, glad to hear you have a back up! Must be quite the talent to snatch it while on a moving boat. Love your videos.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Wow, the video is fantastic. Do you do this for a living, or is this just a hobby?
    Yes we do for a living and while the loss was not something I would have wanted (for $$$ reasons) it honestly didn't phase me and after it went "swimming" I immediately shifted my mindset to having a good time and went up to the bar and grabbed a drink!! LOL
    When we first entertained the idea of incorporating aerials into our work (well over 2 years ago) I refused the notion to buy one until I fully comprehended that each time it goes in the air might be its last!! I've had many close calls (some in Aruba) but have been able to recover or cheaply rebuild from all.

I think the hardest part was that even though it was a tool/device it literally was part of the family. As mentioned, we named it (Jerone), had many good stories about it, and it has been many places with us. I guess the old adage of don't name a livestock animal kind of holds true here too. LOL Oh well weve already named its replacement.

The video was marvelous...
    Very breath taking and so professional.
    A job very well done.
    Again thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Sorry for your loss, glad to hear you have a back up! Must be quite the talent to snatch it while on a moving boat. Love your videos.
    Something I have practiced and practiced and practiced... Very dangerous honestly (multiple thin plastic blades moving very quickly) but I feel very comfortable doing it and have not had any mishaps. I am also very very careful when doing it and always position the craft in a way that I can bail on my catch if needed and or fly the craft away from me/others. In fact my carefulness is probably part of the reason for the demise of Jerone. I was pacing the boat and carefully bringing it in inch by inch which took way more time than just haphazardly flying it in and snatching it out the air. I literally was 10 - 20 seconds away from being able to catch it when it started its auto decent.

Water under the bridge. I'd do it again tomorrow (if we were still there.. :-( )
    In fact, the riskiest shot I got the whole time we were there was the day after it happened (I did this risky shot with our secondary drone which cost about 5 times more than Jerone did). We went out to Sereo Colorodo and I flew it over the cliffs there. Wind was so strong that it was pushing us around and almost ripping the controller out of my hands but I got some incredible stuff, so glad I did that!!

You, my friend, are the ultimate drone professional!! I have shared this with everyone I know!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Thanks for sharing your great video! I bet the JP folks just loved it!
    This all fascinates me so thanks for your detailed story.
    sorry for your loss

Sorry for the loss of Mr. Jerone - no better final resting place that I can think of!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

So happy to hear that you're not too sad and that you already have a plan B (and that we will continue to have more of these great videos...)